Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk space

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 greybelt

greybelt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Should I clean up disk space on factory, or disk c.
HP PAVILION

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

That depends. Is the drive full?

#3 greybelt

greybelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:25 AM

No.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:42 AM

Is there some specific problem? Your question is simply too vague to provide an intelligent response - please tell us the exact reason for the question. Thank you.

#5 greybelt

greybelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

I want to do a disk clean up, It says clean up factory image, whatever that is, or hp©.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:14 AM

The Factory you talk about is probably the Factory restore partition and is designated as drive D. Many people use the remaining space on that partition to store what ever. While it probably hurts nothing it is not what it was intended for.

That would leave your C: drive. You state it is not full. Did you check it`s properties to determine this?

#7 greybelt

greybelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

Yes.

#8 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

OK, so I'm guessing that if you click on Start then Computer - it pops up a screen showing (above other things like DVD drive and Removable Disks) 'HP (C:)' and 'Recovery (D:)'.

HP (C:) is your main storage area, while Recovery (D:) is meant to store things like Restore points.

In Disk Cleanup, the one you want to choose is 'HP (C:)'.

Let us know how this works.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

Out of curiosity, how large is the C drive. How much free space is shown on the C drive?

I believe the error does relate to the recovery partition drive. It is a known Vista bug. Just dealt with a clients Vista HP that was doing the same thing. C:, the OS drive, had plenty of room. But the restore partition was almost full with just the image as well as some files the client had stored on it. Even after running Windows disk clean up and TFC on the C drive as well as moving the Clients files off of D, Vista was still complaining.

The fix I am aware of involves a registry change. Are you comfortable working in the registry?

Short of someone else knowing another solution, way to fix your current problem, I will post the fix along with instructions on how to back-up your registry prior to making the change. Also. Be aware that this change affects both C and D. Should they ever start filling up again you will get no warning other then pop-ups that say insufficient space when you try to d\l to large a file, install to big a game\program.

Edited by ThunderZ, 12 February 2011 - 10:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users