Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver on the Fritz?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iskyfire

iskyfire

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with the current (266.58) (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit) NVIDIA drivers for my GeForce 6150 LE.

Problem(s): My processor will not idle at 0%. This creates lag (Specifically in DirectX applications).

(I am running a clean install, and there aren't any programs running in the background)

The only thing that seems to quell my Processor's behavior is to uninstall the NVIDIA driver and run on the generic Windows drivers.

My CPU graph:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8587/queesesto2.png

As can be seen in the screenshot, when the computer should be idle or at 0%, the "System" process jumps from 0% to 30% every second or so. This causes lag in Programs and in and Direct X applications drawn to the screen.

Using xperf to track the traces running in "System", I found that nvlddmkm.sys is the driver responsible for the CPU usage:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1612/mytracepic.png

The cause for this irregularity seems to be unknown, I have been unable to find anything else like it online, except for a blog where someone posted about how an incompatible Modem driver was causing a similar problem in his computer:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/04/07/3031251.aspx

Upon reading the blog, I found something that may apply to my current situation. Quote:

"The developer explained that my trace revealed that the driver didn’t efficiently interact with the PCIe bus when processing specific queries"

Whether or not this is the problem is still a question.

Thanks,
Steven

Edited by iskyfire, 03 February 2011 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

The one constant problem I've had with NVIDIA drivers has been the 'NVIDIA 3D Device Service'. I always have to go into Services, stop the service, and then disable it to prevent errors and other problems with my graphics. I'm not saying that this is the cause of your problem, it's just a thought and unless you use a 3D device that requires the special glasses it might be worth a try. There have been some significant changes in NVIDIA's latest drivers. The last known set of drivers that I've used without problems is the 260.99 version. I've tried the 266.58 and decided to 'Roll Back' or return to the 260.99 version. You might also consider reverting to the 260.99 drivers if they are the last version that functioned properly. I hope I've been some help. I never have any answers, only suggestions.

#3 iskyfire

iskyfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

Well, thank you for your suggestions, Zuhl3156! I'll look into the 3D service, and, as for the version of the drivers, I've tried all versions that are available for Windows 7 64-bit, and they all yield the same result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users