Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7 will not let me uncheck disk error check on c drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 belteck

belteck

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

On my mothers computer I seem to be experiencing a strange problem. She has a month old HP touchscreen desktop. LIke the topic says for some reason during every restart it would prompt the typical hit a key to cancel the error check in 10 seconds or less message, the problem is even when I hit a few keys it doesnt stop and will actually hang up at the last listed second aka 1. It came with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Whenever I enter the C drive properties and attempt to uncheck the error check automatically setting and close out the window it remains there again. It will boot into safe mode however. Im lost at this point any ideas ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

Have you contacted HP with this event error? (help and support)

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:45 AM

Here's what's happening - autocheck detects a dirty bit on c: drive and runs at startup. Unfortunately, autocheck does not run with the repair option - I've never understood why MS never changed that. Anyway, here's what you need to do:

To check the hard drive right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#4 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

Here's what's happening - autocheck detects a dirty bit on c: drive and runs at startup. Unfortunately, autocheck does not run with the repair option - I've never understood why MS never changed that. Anyway, here's what you need to do:

To check the hard drive right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

First off I made a mistake its actually a Dell. And I did try the command prompt suggestion you made. I rebooted the machine and let it attempt the disk check. It just sits there and never actually runs.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

Brand of the computer is irrelevant. EXACTLY what happens at boot? Please make sure that when you entered the command in the command prompt window you left a space between the word "chkdsk" and the slash (/). Again, the command is: chkdsk /r

#6 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

Brand of the computer is irrelevant. EXACTLY what happens at boot? Please make sure that when you entered the command in the command prompt window you left a space between the word "chkdsk" and the slash (/). Again, the command is: chkdsk /r

Hey I typed it exactly as a Admin with the cmd prompt and when it restarts it just sits at this screen. Im hoping there isnt a HD problem with it.
Posted Image

Edited by belteck, 07 February 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#7 H@cker

H@cker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

I would run a hard drive test on it or even run the "Repair My PC" by hitting F8 when PC starts and selecting this.

#8 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

I would run a hard drive test on it or even run the "Repair My PC" by hitting F8 when PC starts and selecting this.

You talking about the diagnostic self check?? I ran that but stopped it when it came to the window where it says everything is okay but there is a additional test that will take 30 mins.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

Go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Burn it to disk and run it. There is clearly a problem with your hd.

#10 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

Im having a problem finding out exactly what model the HDD is in the Dell Inspiron One. All I can figure out is that its a western digital and this is the device manager properties SCSI\DiskWDC_WD7501AAES-75W7A0___05.0

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Belarc Advisor should be able to give you that information http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users