Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 punkstuart

punkstuart

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 08:40 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm working on another computer that I seem to have hit a snag. I was trying to restore the Internet connectivity for DSL and I was cleaning up the person's network (Win 98 se), they had 3 different VPN adapters. I had to restart the computer and while it was trying to boot back up while it was trying to load windows it gives me this error:

While initializing device TEEFER
Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 28, service 800A
Your windows configuration is invalid. Run the windows setup program.
Press any key...

Then it just shutsdown. It gives me this error every time I try and start up windows. I think it's having a problem trying to detect and install certain adapters. I can put it into safe mode just fine but it says can't load new devices in safe mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:36 AM

Are you running a 3rd party firewall? if so boot in safemode go to Add & Remove Programs and remove it, then try to reboot in normal mode and see what happens then we can go from there.

Just a hunch!!!!!

If that lets you boot normal Download, Update, and run these cleaners. (Delete everything found)
Ad-Aware SE
SpyBot S&D 1.3
CW Shredder 2.0

#3 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:36 PM

Are you getting the boot menu? If so choose command prompt only and type the following command.

scanreg /restore and then hit enter (note there is a space between the g & /)

You will get a screen showing the last 5 know good registry configurations. Using the arrow keys choose a date that says Started before you made the changes and hit enter. See if that helps :thumbsup:

Edited by Bear, 21 October 2004 - 03:38 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users