Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, no LAN connections, wireless is fine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hi all,
I know this is going to look ridiculous after the issue I had with my computer last year, and I thank all of you who were involved with diagnosing that problem. But the bad news is that I think I've got another one already. I have recently returned from home back to the Gordon College campus, only to find that my laptop can no longer have internet connectivity via a LAN connection. only wireless connections work now. I talked with Dell and a very kindly Dell technician came all the way out here and replaced my motherboard thinking that my Marvell Yukon 88E8 PCIE fast ethernet controller went bad. He said that there's only so much the onsight folks can do in this situation, and if the connection still didn't work afterward, more drastic measures would have to be taken. Well guys, that's what happened exactly. He replaced the motherboard, and then we tested a connection in the college lounge on the first floor. The tech had the idea that maybe the port in the wall wasn't live or something, so when I went back upstairs to my room, I tested it again. Nada. This was after reinstalling the device and it's driver. Is there anything I can do, anymore diagnostics I can possibly run, to save this computer from a 4th reformat in five months, and a potential downgrade back to Windows XP? Thanks so much all of you for any feedback you can give.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

Have you tried a different cable?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Oops. Maybe I should have told you about that. Yes I did actually, in the library like the second day I returned to college. Thanks for having me on this.

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hi folks,
I have a question regarding this topic. I just spoke to the support folks here at Gordon College, and they think it's either a driver or a hardware issue. They want to do something booting up into Ubuntu Live. I always ask the question, what can they do that I can't? What Ubuntu Live CD do I need to download and use to be able to diagnose this issue better? I'd really like to avoid reformatting and reinstalling if possible. I also want to avoid having to wait around while those people fiddle-fart with my computer for seven days and then tell me there's nothing they can do, or more like correctly, there's nothing we want to do. Thanks.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

At home when you were connected to your home network with the cable? Since the motherboard was replaced and the new drivers installed I can only venture to guess there is a problem with the TCP/IP settings for your wired connection. When you log onto campus internet are you required to enter a user name and password? Has the IT department checked your settings for the wired connection? Lastly when the laptop is connected to the wired connection what does internet explorer say when you try and load a web page? Also check with the IT department at school and let me know if they need to have the MAC address of the laptop registered on the network. Your wireless card and the Ethernet card will have different MAC addresses. If the wireless card is registered and your Ethernet card is not it will block the wired access since the network thinks its an unauthorized computer.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 09 February 2011 - 11:06 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the reminder about checking the settings. now the question is how in the world to get to the settings on Windows 7? I know how to access them in XP, but I've never had to fart around in the networking section in 7. It's always just worked for me. Windows itself doesn't handle auths to the wired network at Gordon. They use this stupid thing called Safe Connect which is a web interface that watches you every move, and if you're out of line, it's the program that yells at you rather than WSUS or System's manager 2007 or something like that because Gordon's weird. I don't know about the Mac address being registered on the network. I never have heard of anything like that around here, but I'll be glad to check. The result I get from internet Explorer is that it can't display the web page (that's bing), and Firefox is able to display MSN, but only from the cache. Thanks for keeping up with this for it's been driving me up the wall!

Chromebuster

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

To get to the settings on Windows 7, right click on Network in the start menu and select properties that will open the Network and Sharing window. In the left hand pane you will see Change Adapter Settings click on it. This will list all of your network connections. To view the settings for a particular connection, right click on that connection and select properties. What you can do here is compare the TCP/IP settings for both your wired and wireless connection and see if anything is different ( your IT department should have at least done this already). From my understanding of Safe-Connect does not require Mac Address registration it uses single-user sign on with your user name and password that was provided by the University. The software checks your virus protection, windows updates etc to ensure your computer is not a threat to the network and that you are a student or faculty member. If you did not have to visit IT to get your computer registered your hardware mac address is not registered and this isn't the problem.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users