Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crash - Red Lines Displayed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RiotOnBroadway

RiotOnBroadway

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Hey guys,

I've been having a problem with my computer crashing lately. It will happen random times where red lines will pop up across the screen and the display will go black. If I have music or a video playing I still hear the audio but I get nothing on my monitor. When I restart it will sometimes be fine and boot, but most of the time at the BIOS splash screen I can see all of the lines are still there. I will then boot up in start mode and get display on my monitor, but it will still have these red lines, I have attached a screen shot in safe mode of what it looks like.

After letting it sit in safe mode it will usually just go away, sometimes once the screen saver comes on, sometimes automatically, and sometimes it will be gone from just booting in safe mode. At this point I always restart my computer and I'm able to boot up with no problems but it will crash again at some point with these same results. I haven't installed any new hardware or anything like that. My specs are:
MOBO: ASUS P5NSLI
GPU: GeGorce 7950 GX2
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
RAM: 3 gigs

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm thinking it may be my videocard as I still get audio with when the display goes, but I'm not sure why I will get display in safe mode but not a regular boot. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Comp.JPG   237.65KB   6 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2011 - 05:37 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

Possibly video card, or overheating.
Desktop, or laptop?
Since you're having same issue in Safe Mode, we can exclude bad driver.

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

Edited by Broni, 03 February 2011 - 08:25 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 RiotOnBroadway

RiotOnBroadway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Here is a screenshot of the info you requested. I should also point out once I get it to boot normally if I let the computer sit there are no problems. I notice it will usually cause problems when I'm on a website and scrolling. Thanks!

Attached Files

• Attached File  Info.png   13.69KB   5 downloads

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

CPU temperature looks fine, but GPU is on a higher side.

I suggest, you get a can of compressed air and clean inside the case.
See, what happens.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 RiotOnBroadway

RiotOnBroadway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

I've actually cleaned out my case with air already as well as vacuuming it very carefully. That was one of the first things I thought it might have been. I'm just baffled as to why it will display in Safe Mode yet not a normal boot. Also, when these red lines are all displayed it's only the background, no icons toolbars, or even programs when I open them are effected.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

Vacuuming inside the case is never a good idea, because vacuum cleaner creates a lot of static electricity, which can easily kill some electronic components.

when these red lines are all displayed it's only the background

Did you try different background?

Is you video card dedicated one, or on-board video?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 RiotOnBroadway

RiotOnBroadway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

This is a dedicated video card and there must be some correlation to these lines and not getting display when booting normally.

I can't modify the background. Right before I lose display when booted normally I will see these red lines on the screen for about 1-2 seconds and then my monitor goes black. I reboot in safe mode with no problems. I can open programs and perform other tasks, only thing being the background has these red lines. I am perplexed by this.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Remove video card and on-board video should kick in.
See, if you have same problem.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users