Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS issue w/ Dell dimension 3000

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mpl59

mpl59

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

Issue description:

While attempting HW upgrades (video card, RAM) to prepared for Win 7 upgrade from XP, I was unable to access the bios on a Dell Dimension 3000. I've done this several times before, but in this case at boot up the PC does not display the usual Dell "splash" and subsequent boot dialogue. No big deal, just press F2 during boot up and you should get to the bios. In this case the PC just "hangs" when depressing F2 while booting. Blank screen. When the PC is powered up and left to boot into windows, it starts and runs just fine. Should I just do a restore from the original install disks or try <cntrl> F11? I'd prefer if I could actually get the boot dialogue to display (just easier to get into safe or bios) but all I really want to do is check/change the video controller setting in the bios. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Doing a restore will have no effect on your ability to enter bios. I suggest you keep trying a few times. Also, are you using a usb keyboard? And if so, are you certain the system sees the keyboard at boot?

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Always try lighter measures first! Try CTRL F11. Dimensions are old, and so they can act quirky.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 mpl59

mpl59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

No usb keyboard, but it takes a few secounds while booting for the key board and monitor to be recognized and by that point Windows is starting up. Going to give it another try possibly w/ a different keyboard. If that doesn't do it, I'll give the <ctrl> F11 a shot. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users