Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD w / enclosure not recognized on laptop..help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lawpeder

lawpeder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

Somebody Help!

I have a 3.5" hard drive from a previous Desktop PC (manuf. in 2008). It was the C drive. I am trying to extract my family pictures off it. I put it in an enclosure, but it isn't recognized at all by my laptop. I tested the enclosure with another WD HDD and it is recognized just fine. Something is different with this HDD. Note: using XP Professional.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Why not connect it directly? Why use an enclosure?

The jumper settings may matter...depends on the enclosure, I suppose.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:56 AM

If this is a PATA hdd you may need to change the jumper setting. If this is a PATA hdd, then the WD is as well, so you can look to see if there is a difference in the jumper setting.

Is this hdd seen in the BIOS?

When you say that the computer doesn't recognize the hdd at all, where did you look for it? Disk Management, My Computer, Explore?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:14 AM

Most enclosures do require if a jumper is present on the hard drive that it be set to master.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users