Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista startup error

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah0407

Sarah0407

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

I'm running a HP Pavilion A6150e with Windows Vista that won't startup. Last night I got an error message stating the system was running with very low RAM, then a RAM error message, after that I received a hard disk error and then it said hard disk not found. I closed all programs and tried to reboot. It wouldn't boot and launched the startup repair tool which wasn't able to determine the problem. I tried to reboot a couple more times and I reeived a blue screen flash then it says I can choose to launch the startup repair tool (reccommended) or start windows normally. When I chose start windows normally it goes through the same process and takes me back to the same screen. Is there anything I can do to not lose all my data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

Well, I think the first thing to try is to boot to the Vista cd and choose the startup repair options. Let's see if that helps at all.

#3 Sarah0407

Sarah0407
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

It was preloaded on the PC, what if I don't have the cd?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

Let's try this - reboot and as soon as the system starts to boot begin tapping the F8 (function) key. Does that get you to the Advanced Boot Options Screen? If so, boot to safe mode. If not, I suggest you download the diagnostic utility from your hd manufacturer's website, burn it to cd, boot to it and check your hd.

#5 bonzo905

bonzo905

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hi. There is a Windows Vista boot disk avaliable as well. It can't be used to re-install Vista, but it does have the recovery console options available that Allan was refering to.
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

It comes in a .iso format, so you will need software capable of burning it to disk. Here is a link to a free program I've used before, but if you have something like Nero or Roxio, most versions have the capacity to do this as well.
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

#6 Sarah0407

Sarah0407
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Thank you, I'll try those. I can't boot in safe mode and I've tried the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic utility along with a couple other LiveCD's that were suggested but nothing has worked so far. System restore doesn't work and I get a "disk boot failure" error when I try to boot from a CD. Is there a way to retrieve or transfer my data to another storage device? The PC is a few years old and I'm probably just going to get a new one but I have some data from the old hard drive I'd like to save if I can get to it. Thanks for your suggestions.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/

And by the way, if you can't boot to the cd drive it's probably because the cd drive is not ahead of the hard disk in the bios boot order.

#8 Sarah0407

Sarah0407
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

I was able to get to the advanced boot menu and I changed the 1st boot option to CD Rom. Is there a different way of changing it?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

In the bios

#10 Sarah0407

Sarah0407
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

Ok, How do I change that?

#11 Sarah0407

Sarah0407
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

IS that the BOOT portion of the F10 setup menu?

#12 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

Yes. If it's like my HP Pavillion a6120n with Phoenix - Award BIOS. Mine shows:

Boot Device Priority <- arrow down to this and select by pressing enter

Your screen then should show four choices:

1st Boot Device [Floppy Group]
2nd Boot Device [CD-ROM Group]
3rd Boot Device [HDD Group]
4th Boot Device [Network Boot Group]

I don't really know why I have a Floppy Group as the first Boot device, as I have no floppy and none is installed. You could probably select this one and make this the CD-ROM Group if your CD-ROM group is currently 3rd or 4th.

For the 2nd Boot Device, you should be able to select the group and using arrow keys and ENTER button, select the desired device. Mine shows CD-ROM group.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Edited by Bill253, 08 February 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#13 Sarah0407

Sarah0407
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Thank you. Yes, that's what mine says too and I changed it to CD Rom but that's when I get the Boot disk failure error message. It says to insert a cd and press enter and then goes back to the same thing. Maybe it's the disk but I've tried 4 or 5 different CD's.

#14 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

Oooohhh,

Don't know about repairing this system. I'm sure it can be done. There are some great people here that can help in a lot of different ways.

As far as saving your data goes - do you have another desktop system that you can use, preferably a Vista system, but 7 or even XP might work (I'm thinking all NTFS formats). Try pulling the HDD out of your HP and installing it in another system, see if you can access your files from there. Just a suggestion...

#15 bonzo905

bonzo905

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

Hi. I'm having trouble finding that exact model number on the HP website. Is this a desktop or laptop?

It sounds like you have your boot order setup right, but it's just not booting to the disk correctly. Can you double check on another computer that the CDs burned correctly?

You mention that System Restore doesn't work. How did you get there and what happens when you try to use it?

If we can't get you to boot to a CD, the only way to get any data from your hard drive is to connect it to another working computer as Allan links to aove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users