Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netwworking and sharing problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

I wanted to be able to use my bedroom computer online, so I got a lynksys wireless G router on the main computer and a usb antenna for my bedroom computer. I used the free network majic that came with the lynksys to set it up. It was only free for 3 days. I don't know if it is right but I can access the internet from my bedroom computer. I can not get to folders from either computer and I can't print to the main computer from my bedroom computer. I have file sharing turned on and I have printer sharing turned on. I don't know what to check now.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Main computer: Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, Lynksys wireless router wrt54g2, Mototola surfboard cable modem
Bedroom computer: Windows XP 32bit, TP-Link 54mbps wireless usb adapter,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Well...did you ever employ the Windows Network Wizard...to establish the network?

Did you ever elect the items to be shared?

Is the printer properly set up as a shared device...on the system it is connected to?

Set up a secure wireless network using Windows Connect Now - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05june13.mspx

Setting up a Windows XP home network - http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

Share Your Printer Over a Home Network Using Windows XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

Louis

#3 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

This is what confuses me. Am I supposed to set up the network on my Vista main computer with the access point or set it up on my XP computer. I have printer sharing set up on my vista computer, that is where the printer is hardwired.

I made the connection on my XP computer using network majic. I thought that might be part of my problem.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

Start at the main computer downstairs. To setup the printer first you need to set up file and print sharing run the network set-up wizard located in the control panel, select this computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway (your router) and then name the computer Main-computer (you cannot use spaces so use the dash). Next select the work group name (use the default MSHOME if you want). On the next screen click enable file and print sharing then click next and allow the settings change. When the wizard is complete click just finish and exit. Allow the computer to reboot. Now you need to share the printer on the network. Go into the control panel and select printers and faxes (on the computer connected to the printer). Next right click on your printer and select sharing. Turn sharing on and name the printer Main-Printer. Click ok. Now you need to share the system drive. Go into windows explorer (under the start menu in the accessories folder) right click on the C: drive and click sharing select share this drive on the network and give it a name (Main C:). Now its off to the bedroom. You need to set run the network setup wizard on this computer also.Select this computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway. When you get to the name make it Bedroom-Computer (remember the dash), under network group name enter the same name you used on the main computer. Complete the wizard and reboot the computer. Next you need to install the printer on your bedroom computer. To do this go back into the control panel and select printers and faxes (on your computer). Under the printer tasks select add printer to open the add printer wizard. Click next and on the next screen you need to select a network printer or a printer connected to another computer. On the next window click find printer in the directory. In the next window click the brows tab next to location and select the printer location ( should be Main-Computer ) click find now. Next click on the name of the printer you want to connect to (Main-Printer) and click ok. On the next screen click connect to this printer. You should now be able to print and access the Main computers Hard disc drive. Note: anything you delete on the Main computer from your Bedroom does not go to the recycle bin it gets deleted instantly so be careful.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hello Sneakycyber:

First off I want to thank you for your help. Everything is working fine now. Instead of making comments about my intelligence, you walked me through the process step by step. I saw a couple of things I didn't know or do and it made the difference. For that, I thank you very much.

When I installed the new USB wireless adapter it came with a free trial of network magic and I used it because it made it easy. It did not set up both computers though so things did not work right. I stopped network magic and did it your way and it worked.

When I have problems I always come to BC. I am usually able to fix the problem with the help of BC. I am still learning and it takes me awhile sometimes but I finally get it after awhile.

So again I thank you for your help and patience.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

You are more than welcome glad it worked :thumbup2: Sometimes new hardware comes with bloatware (free trial software) that isn't always the best method for setup. Other times its the only way to setup.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users