Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Premature shutdown of XP - can't reboot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hugheen

hugheen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hello to all, sorry to add another problem to you your day but I am paying for my computer sins namely being impatient
with a system that is erratic in shutting down. I usually wait a decent interval and when it doesn't shut down I turn
off the switch when the screen goes blue and stays there. I've gotten away with this more or less. Last night while
the message was "please wait while windows is shutting down" I waited awhile and then shut it off. I had never done
this before during the process of a shutdown.

Today when I turn the switch on and push the boot button on the desktop hard drive I get the green light and the sounds that the
hard drive is turning over but nothing on the screen, the software seems dead in the water. I've checked connections thoroughly
and tried putting the operating system in the cd drive as well as the utilities and driver discs but nothing but nothing occurs.

I have recovery disks if necessary but I understand they will wipe out files and I don't have a current backup, my backup software
has given me problems I've never resolved so I'm some months behind on that requirement.

Can't live without my computer, any help deeply appreciated.

Hope to return the favor

Hapless Hugh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

System manufacturer and model?

If custom/self-built...motherboard manufacturer and model...and whether you were using onboard video.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

Using the power button to shut down the system is not a good idea and can cause lost clusters along with other more serious issues. Doing it continually is certainly not a good idea. If I were you the first thing I'd do is download the diagnostic utility from the hd manufacturer, burn it to cd, and run it at boot. Let's see where that gets us.

Edited by Allan, 03 February 2011 - 11:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users