Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate Computer Names in Network with Unique Names

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Parangtha

Parangtha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

I have a problem and internet searches are providing little help.

The Problem: All the computers on my network are telling me a duplicate name exists on the system.

Other Info: The computers and network had no duplicate names until two days ago when there was a power outage. The problem wasn't dealt with yesterday because the primary focus was clearing the parking lot of ice so business could resume today. All the systems involved are running either XP Home or XP Pro.

Things I have tried:
I have tried ipconfig /release(and /renew) on multiple systems the program either didn't run because "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation." or ran but informed me upon reconnection that a duplicate name exists
I have also tried a mass power cycle on all the systems at the same time as well as the networking equipment, error still exists.
A colleague tried to change the name of one of the systems and got rejected because it said the workgroup was invalid and that a duplicate name existed on the network. He then changed the workgroup and the error seems to have gone away on that system, though the original workgroup remains invalid when a switch back is attempted. I also feel this "solution" is more of a work around rather than a fix and would like to avoid it if I can.

If there is anything else I can try it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Parangtha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

The only thing I can up with is to trace out the dup. Somehow, someone got a static IP. I can't see a power outage effecting the machine name. If you can eliminate someone changing the machine name, then it has to be an IP conflict. You could set DHCP to a different range, assuming there are no static assignments in the new range. The other choice is finding a machine or two you know are good, and bring up machines one at a time until you find the offending machine. Is a server issuing DHCP addresses? If so, check the logs there. Other than that, complex tools like Wireshrk can identify the machine's MAC, to help you find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users