Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Windows 7 Without CD

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tjboo

tjboo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

My friend's laptop won't boot. You turn it on and the Advent symbol comes up and gives you an option to go into the BIOS or onto system recovery. It allows you to go no further. If you go to system recovery you can't even do anything, the typing cursor style thing is just flashing. He doesn't have the CDs to recover Windows 7 and restore it.

Is there any way to restore? I also have an Advent laptop, would it work if I made a recovery CD from control panel for Windows 7 and then use it to boot and restore his Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hi,
your friends machine should have a hidden recovery partition, at reboot continually press f10 until you enter the recovery console, you should be able to recover the mavhine back to factory settings. If this works get your friend to make a recovery disc !!!!!

Iain.

Edited by odin88, 03 February 2011 - 10:00 AM.

our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 kulden

kulden

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

Could check the boot options and make sure it is looking for your hard drive and not the usb.
Also make sure u don't have any USB's and cd's in the computer.

-kulden

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Reboot. As soon as the system starts booting begin tapping the F8 (function) key - this should take you to the Advanced Boot Options Menu. Choose Safe Mode. Can you get in? If not, try "Last Known Good Configuration". Please post back with results.

#5 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

Basically I tried to get to F8 menu but it goes black and after a while "Error Loading Operating System"
I've made a recovery CD from my Advent laptop, do you think that will work and enter it into boot mode?
I'm going to be doing this later after I've got stuff off his HDD from the SATA cables.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

I doubt that a recovery disk from your system will work unless the systems are identical. You didn't answer my first question though - what led up to this problem?

#7 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

Not sure, my buddy isn't tech savvy and probably wouldnt be able to pinpoint anything

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

It's important to know if there were any changes to the system (hw or sw) or anomalies before the problem appeared in order to troubleshoot the situation effectively.

Edited by Allan, 03 February 2011 - 12:01 PM.

#9 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

kay, he said there were no changes that he can remember just would start to only boot up sometimes and not all the time and now its doing this all the time. "Error loading operating system"

I tried putting the HDD load up to 1st priority in the BIOS and that still didn't work. I assume Windows has corrupted somehow.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

Error Loading OS could be a problem with the HD, the boot sector or, as you say, the OS may be corrupt. If you can get a copy of Windows 7 and boot to it, you can let it run the startup repair function and see if that helps. You can also go to the website of the hd manufacturer and download a copy of their diagnostic utility, burn it to disk, boot to it and check the hd.

#11 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

At the moment I'm trying to recover his data using a SATA transfer cable, and it appears to show stuff on the HDD, so that rules out the Hard Drive been corrupt right? As I can access things on the HDD, is there anything on here that can aid the recover?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

and it appears to show stuff on the HDD, so that rules out the Hard Drive been corrupt right?

No. The data would still be there even if the hd is going bad.

Edited by Allan, 03 February 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#13 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

Okay, this has got weirder now. The HDD I could see the files on it, but now when I plug it in it doesn't appear and slows everything on my PC down. And when I unplug it runs fine again...

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

Plug it into what? The original computer or the system to which you are slaving it? Please try to be specific.

#15 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

I've got the SATA to USB cables. I've removed his HDD and the USB is plugging into my PC. Originally everything showed up, now its not showing up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users