Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

should i update my bios

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gorkatronic

Gorkatronic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

I have a HP pavilion dv6-3122us and i tried 2 install an update deemed IMPORTANT. It was an update of my new comp's bios, which started strong but finished wrong, or not at all. it froze when it said 100% complete. I resolved the issue by popping the battery out. I'm leery of trying this update again, short story long should I try 2 install this update again, YEAH OR NAY?

Edited by Budapest, 02 February 2011 - 11:59 PM.
Moved from Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

Are you experiencing any problems?

If so, did you read just what the BIOS update address`s?

#3 Raizzt

Raizzt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

Under normal circumstances if your are not having problems with your PC, I personally don't recommend BIOS updates.

I say NAY
A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine. - Murphy

Site Admin
Tech's Thing

#4 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

First off all, make sure you're only installing an update if it came directly from HP. Second, as Raizzt stated, a BIOS update should only be necessary if you are having a problem and otherwise should be avoided. Your PC's latest BIOS: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-89362-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=4063&product=4332728&sw_lang= is a chipset update helping system stability. If you are not having any problems with your PC I would suggest you not install this update.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

I vote NAY

Only update a BIOS if it addresses issues that you are having, as has been pointed out.

You actuall got pretty lucky. You could have ended up with an expensive door stop.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Gorkatronic

Gorkatronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

THANK U ALL. The nays have it :busy:

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:00 AM

i say nay also ,will add that in all my yrs with computer i have never gotten a deemed important bios update message ,where did this message come from

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users