Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Corruption Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 just Bob

just Bob

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Windows Vista Home Premium

I have an external hard drive (just over a year old). It's a WD MyBook. I have it hooked up by eSata 3. It is 1.5tb in size. FAT32 format.

A folder on my drive that had a bunch of video files in it started showing up as about 4 or 6 folders that were named really oddly (a bunch of symbols and underscores and asian characters and lines). At first I thought it might have something to do with a loose ethernet cable or be the fault of the media center thing I was viewing the stuff over (so, the media center viewed the shared files over the network). That was ehh, maybe 2 weeks ago when I noticed it.

Last night I finally decided to see what the flippity was goin' on, and lo-and-behold, they were actually named all that weird stuff. The folder ("From Michael") was obviously corrupted. I used "chkdsk /f" or "chkdsk /r" (I can't remember which of the two it was). It told me I had some problems and if I wanted to turn the folders into a file. I said yes. The folder "From Michael" had no folders in it originally (only files), so this sounded appropriate. Boom! 32kb "From Michael" file now exists.

There was another location on the disk that had problems, but that one isn't important at all.

On the root of the drive (M:\) there are the 2 FOUND.000 and FOUND.001 folders. Hidden and such. FOUND.000 has a file in it named "FILE0000.CHK" dated to 6/3/2010. I probably don't care about this file, as I don't know what it could have been. 711,008 KB in size it says.

FOUND.001 has 60.2 GB of "FILE0000.CHK" to "FILE0130.CHK" files. Their file sizes range from around 1.4gb to 32kb. (32kb 64kb 96kb are the lower bound numbers). These date from 2/2/2011 at 7:15 am. These are the files I am concerned about.

I ran Handy Recovery 1.0 (undeletes deleted files), but I didn't see any of the files I wanted to restore. More evidence of the FOUND.001 files being the "From Michael" files (not that I needed anymore evidence).

So how do I recover these files (or attempt to atleast)?
Where is the chkdsk log located so I can tell exactly what happened (and what switch I used)? I googled that for a long while, but all I found was locations that sounded like they'd only be there if the computer did it at boot time, and not manually. Also, a lot of it sounded XP-oriented. Example: I have no bootex.log file, and probably shouldn't as it was not run at boot time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

I believe that FOUND files originate from chkdsk operations or system operations where something has gone wrong with ability to move/save data files to the appropriate location.

My experience is that these files cannot be converted to anything useful...I just delete mine and move on.

Regarding the only chkdsk log that I am aware of...you should be able to find it by going to Event Viewer, Application tab...looking at the items under Winlogon as Source, Event ID 1001.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users