Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB/SD Ports stopped working

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bish

Bish

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hi,

I've noticed that my none of my 4 USB ports or my sd slot function correctly anymore. It's a Dell Inspiron 1501. Everything worked fine before and it stopped working out of nowhere. It wasnt a case of it being a gradual problem where it happened intermittently. They stopped working suddenly. The USB ports are still sending power, they're charging my iPhone, flashing lights on my USB stick etc but the devices aren't being recognized for me to explore. I was having malware issues and Starbuck directed me here. We ran some tests in the device manager but the device manager becomes non responsive when I try to uninstall drivers. I've updated all drivers but the problems persist. I've even tried the fix it for me on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900 but to no avail. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

It would seem you have two other threads going on in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. Are they for the same machine. Is it the same machine you are asking about now?

I see Starbuck did suggest for you to post here as that thread appears done. But it appears you are still working with Gringo_pr in another thread. That one does not appear done.

#3 Bish

Bish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hi ThunderZ. The one with Gringo_pr is for a different machine (my own). This topic is for the laptop that Starbuck was helping me with and has now finished (my mothers). Thanks

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

Thank you for the clarification Bish.

Just wanted to be sure so any information I offer was not counter productive to information you were receiving elsewhere on the Forum. With that taken care of we`ll see what we can now do about fixing the current problem.

Looking at your provided link it appears that you have already covered the basics. One question. Did you also use the Workaround "Fix it" listed at the bottom of the page?

#5 Bish

Bish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Hi,
Yea I ran the fix it, I think that's what got the power back in the USB drives because before they wouldn't charge my phone. I ran all the tests and the workaround but unfortunately I can't remember at what stage exactly the USB started sending out power again but I can definitely be sure that they didn't send power before I followed the steps on the Microsoft support page.
Thanks

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

Thank`s. Now we know just where we stand.

It sounds like you use several different USB devices. Are probably plugging and unplugging them fairly regularly and not worrying about always plugging the same device into the same port every time. Is this pretty accurate?

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 February 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#7 Bish

Bish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

Yea that sounds about right. We'd mostly use the two at the side. The back ones would very rarely be used. I never knew you should use a device in the same USB slot?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

Many times you can get away with a few USB devices using only a couple ports.

But there have been reported problems with XP choking on multiple USB devices when plugged and unplugged from different ports.

With the exception of an actual mechanical failure of the ports there is only one other possible remedy that comes to my mind. There are two possible downside I have found to this fix. One is that the next time you plug in a device XP will install it all over again. Or if the device came with a driver CD you may need to use it to reinstall that particular device. The second is that if a wrong driver is removed, even if represented by a washed out icon, heck can be paid attempting to find the related driver and reinstalling it. Please take note of the red text at the bottom of this post to avoid further possible problems.

When you install a device driver on a Windows XP machine, the operating system loads that driver each time the computer boots regardless of whether the device is present—unless you specifically uninstall the driver. This means that drivers from devices that you have long since removed from your system may be wasting valuable system resources.

Follow these steps to view and remove these unnecessary device drivers:

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System variables panel.
4. In the System variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable name text box and 1 in the Variable value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View > Show hidden devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

In your specific case I would look at only Disk drives, Storage volumes and Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 February 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#9 Bish

Bish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hi ThunderZ,

I followed your steps exactly and everything went well until I got to the step where I uninstall any of the USB drivers. The devmgr then becomes unresponsive. It happens after I click okay in the warning box.
Posted Image

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

Strange. Are there any USB devices plugged in?

It a device is not represented by a washed out icon then I would leave it alone. According to your previous post you had already removed them once.

#11 Bish

Bish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

No I have nothing plugged in while in device manager.

When I was working with Starbuck I had tried to uninstall some drivers and it became unresponsive also. I updated all drivers after I couldn't uninstall them. They all advised that the drivers were up to date.

Nothing appeared to be washed out in the device manager when I clicked on show hidden

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

I updated all drivers after I couldn't uninstall them. They all advised that the drivers were up to date.

How did you go about attempting to update the drivers? If it was via Device Manager, that is not the preferred method. When done in that manner only the MS site is checked. You really need to go to the manufacturers site. Look up your specific machine and check for updated drivers there.

Nothing appeared to be washed out in the device manager when I clicked on show hidden

Did you click\expand the + signs?

#13 Bish

Bish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hi

Yea i clicked all the expand buttons on the 3 sections you advised.

When I ipdated drivers i did it from the devmgr page. When you say go to the manufacturers site, do you mean the manufacturer of the laptop or the manufacturer of the usb devices I'm connecting? Thanks

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi

Yea i clicked all the expand buttons on the 3 sections you advised.

When I ipdated drivers i did it from the devmgr page. When you say go to the manufacturers site, do you mean the manufacturer of the laptop or the manufacturer of the usb devices I'm connecting? Thanks

Really odd. No washed out devices.

Depending on the device you are trying to connect to would dictate the best location to seek the drivers from. Many common USB devices have native\built-in support right in the OS. If a device you are trying to connect came with a drivers disk then your best bet would be the manufacturers site of the particular device.

But. In this case I do not think that will help.
When you plug in a device that needs a driver installed that the OS does not have included you would still see an attempt by the OS to install the device. You would then see a message something to the effect that the install failed and the device will not function properly.

In this instance though it appears that the OS is not even seeing\attempting to install any USB device which points back to either an internal hardware failure or system corruption of some type. Likely due to damage done by the virus.

Edited by ThunderZ, 08 February 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#15 Bish

Bish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

Okay, I understand. I know what you're talking about when I plug in a new device and i get a message saying new hardware is installed and ready to use. I got all that the first time I inserted something like my digital camera, phone etc. So you reckon its a hardware issue that's not going to be fixed without actually opening up the machine and replacing some of the insides? I had a feeling deep down that was going to be the problem. That's a pity, I appreciate you're time and effort ThunderZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users