Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new hard drive installation problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cagedl

cagedl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

i have a toshiba satellite a105-s4274 and i tried to reformat it and after it went most of the way thru i got a "ntldr is missing hit ctrl alt del to exit" and called toshiba they said hard drive was no good so i buy a new hd and put it in and am getting this error with the recovery cd in

pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable
pxe-m0f: exiting intel boot agent.
operating system not found

toshiba said i'd need to have a tech look at it which best buy wanted $50 to install it and i already paid 50 for the new hd and the laptop itself is only worth 150 or so, so i'd like to get this fixed or just sell it, any info would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

The pxe error usually referrers to a failed attempt to boot from a non-existent network connection.

If you access the BIOS then change the boot order to CD first then hard drive and disable the boot from network option you may be Ok.
Since you estimate the cost of the lap top at only $150 I will assume it is an older one. The problem may be caused by a dyeing CMOS battery. Very cheap to purchase. Should not be difficult to replace although it varies from model to model.

#3 cagedl

cagedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

i read about the network option but i could not find it?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

You saw nothing in the BIOS, on any of the screens? It should be located under the heading of boot options\order, start-up options\order. It may not say network. It may mention PXE or LAN.

#5 cagedl

cagedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

there's lan but i have no idea how to disable it? and found nothing on google

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

You may not have the option to disable. But you should be able to move it down in the order. Since you are attempting to reformat and do a clean install you want the CD\DVD or it may be called optical drive listed first. Then the hard drive second. There may be some other options as well as long as the LAN is at least third in the order it should be fine. Do not forget to save the changes before exiting the BIOS and attempting to boot from the CD.

Edited by ThunderZ, 02 February 2011 - 11:49 PM.

#7 cagedl

cagedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:36 AM

it looks like this

1. cd/dvd
2. hdd
3. fdd
4. usb memory
5. lan

on a diff forum a guy is saying i wont be able to use the recovery cds with a different hard drive? and i'd have to buy windows

also i wonder if there's any fix for the original hard drive that gets this error:

"ntldr is missing hit ctrl alt del to restart"

could the cd drive be messed up?

this is just insane that i'd have to spend $50 + probably another $80? for windows = $130 to fix a laptop that's only worth $150 to begin with

#8 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

There should be no issue using the recovery cd on a different hard drive. If your cdrom is set as the first boot device, shortly after the laptop is powered on you should see a message that says "Press any key to boot from cd...". Hit any key and you should be on your way.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

The missing ntldr error does not necessarily mean that the hard drive was bad. It does mean that a file(s) needed to boot Windows properly became corrupted.

It is possible that the CD drive is the culprit, or it is possible the CD is damaged\scratched\dirty and therefore unreadable or only partially readable.

I see no reason that the recovery disk would not work, regardless of the new hard drive, as long as they are the ones that belong\came with that machine.

#10 cagedl

cagedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

so what can i do to try an fix the original hard drive?

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:42 AM

Let me get up to speed on where we are at now.

Is the new drive currently in the machine? What make is the new drive?
If the old drive is in the machine, what make is it?

#12 cagedl

cagedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

new drive is in a western digital, old is toshiba

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Which drive is currently in the PC.

There are diagnostics that can be burn to a CD and used to test each drive? May as well start with that one. No OS needed.

#14 cagedl

cagedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:14 AM

where can i find these diagnostics?

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated