Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open Image Files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greenisorabracadabra

greenisorabracadabra

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hello,

In December of 2010 I reinstalled Windows XP (Home Edition 2002 Version Service Pack One) onto my computer (Sony Vaio Model PCV-2222). Since the reinstall, my computer has been unable to open image files. When I open my image folder and try to display thumbnails of the folder's files, certain images do not display thumbnails. I also can't open any of the images in the folder. When I try to open an image file, the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer program starts up but doesn't display the image. Then my system seems to lag for a long time, and if I press control, alt and delete, I find that the CPU usage meter has shot up to %100 (all of this usage is attributed to explorer.exe). The CPU usage meter seems to only skyrocket when I open the image folder.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Is there anything I can do to fix it? I thought the problem might be related to some kind of virus, so I tried posting in the Malware logs (here), but my problem doesn't appear to be due to a virus.

I would be very thankful for any help anyone can offer.

Cordially,
Abra

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

What types of image files...can you not open?

Go to My Computer\Explorer view...Tools\Folder Options\File Types tab.

Look up the file extension for the graphics file, tell us what program is reflected for opening it.

FWIW: Running an XP system with SP1 only installed...is just asking for trouble. There have been over 200 security updates since SP1 which are considered crtical for users who want to minimize system vulnerability to malware.

Louis

#3 greenisorabracadabra

greenisorabracadabra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

Hey Louis,

Thank you for your help. I can't open .jpeg images.

I can open My Computer, but I can't find "Explorer View." Can you please tell me where that is located?

Cordially,
Abra

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Right-click on My Computer...select "Explore". That view is Explorer view :).

Louis

#5 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

try deleting the thumbs.db file in the image folder. close folder, then reopen.
post back the results :)

#6 greenisorabracadabra

greenisorabracadabra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hey Louis, it turns out that Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is the program in charge of opening .jpeg files.

Is there a way for me to guard my computer against the problems of service pack one? Can I update to a different service pack? (As you can see, I'm rather in the dark when it comes to computers!)

Cogs, I deleted the thumbs.db folder. I hope that helps!

I thought I would back up all of my images to a disk in any event, so I think all should be well on the picture front. Thank you all for your help!

Abra

P.S. Louis, do you think I should update my service pack? Please let me know.

#7 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

can you see any of your thumbnails now, or open the images?
also, for image backup, i use google picassa online. you can download the program, and
you can sync it with the online folders. that way, when you put pics on your computer,
picassa will open up, and you can automatically have them upload to the web account
you created.

#8 greenisorabracadabra

greenisorabracadabra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hey cogs,

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I can open the images now, and I can see the thumbnails as well. I wonder what was wrong before...

#9 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

I know you asked for help from Louis, but I'll jump in and say YES, use windows update and get Service Packs 2 a

sorry - hit 'post' to quickly. Get service packs 2 and 3. You'll also probably get a whole bunch of updates and security patches in the process. Might have to go through Windows Update - then reboot - then update - then reboot - several times to get current.

Good luck,
Bill253

Edited by Bill253, 05 February 2011 - 07:27 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Regarding your SPs...I suggest downloading/installing SP2 first...then doing the same for SP3...but before doing so, please check the Sony website for any special instructions they may have for users of the systems they sell.

SP2 Download Link

SP3 Download Link

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html

After installing both, you need to go to the Windows Update site and download/install a lot of critical updates that apply. But wait until both are installed, since some critical updates for SP2 are included in SP3.

Louis

#11 greenisorabracadabra

greenisorabracadabra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Thank you both! I'm installing SP2 right now.

Abra

#12 Abigail111

Abigail111

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hi,You can install a .NET Imaging SDK, then you may directly see how to open image or document file in your C#.NET projects. And they will  provides step-by-step instructions on how to create a simple C#.NET application that opens an image or a document and saves it into a specified output format, image file or document. The supporting opening and saving image formats are GIF, PNG, BMP, JPEG and TIFF; document formats are PDF, Word and medical DICOM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users