Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate Devices (DVD Drives)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ritter

Ritter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hi Everyone,
I have a problem and have not been able to find a solution. Two days ago I installed 2 new DVD Burners in my computer. One off the old ones was an old CD Player and the other was a DVD Burner that was going south. Made some scary sounds there toward the end so it was time to get rid of him.

I uninstalled the 2 old drives and then shut down the computer. From there I proceeeded to install the 2 new DVD Burners. They are SATA and I am getting along with that. My old MB was able to accomodate the 2 drives.

Now comes the problem. The computer will not recognize the drives. I get the following from the yellow icon in device manager: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42). What I wind up with is a: (ATAPI iHAS224 A) with a yellow exclamation point in front of it. So it is only showinig one drive and there are 2. Also if I go on Windows Explorer in drives it shows my hard drives as C: & D: and then it shows CD Drive F:. It is a DVD Drive and then what happened to the E: Drive? If I go and try to map drives the E: drive is gone. If I put disks in the E: drive thst have auto run they do not run so it is not being recognized. In other words the whole thing is messed up. Can't believe it. All I was trying to do was replace my 2 optical drives and now I have lost them all pretty much.

So any help her would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance,
Ritter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

I would check the BIOS.

You can have any number of duplicate devices on a system...hard drives, NICs, optical drives, etc....the message you received is a very strange one.

If reflected properly in the BIOS...Windows should reflect them properly.

Louis

#3 Ritter

Ritter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

I have checked the BIOS more than once and cannot find anything wrong. I have set it the way I want it and the way it has been since I can't remember and it does not help.

It is very strange to me. I mean I install 2 DVD Drives and they should show up as DVD Drive E: and DVD Drive F:. But all I get is CD Drive F:. They are not CD Drives. They are DVD Drives. There are 2 drives and not one. And I cannot use one of the drives at all. HELP! Thanx!!!!!

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

Not a whole lot of information to be found on the Internet about Code 42.
Since you have not said different I will assume you installed both optical drives at the same time and then restarted the PC.

In Device Manager uninstall any instances listed under DVD/CD-ROM drives. Turn off the PC. Physically disconnect both the SATA and power cable from one of the drives. Restart the machine. Hopefully it will detect and install the single drive. Once it has and you are satisfied it is properly working, shut down the PC, reconnect the other drive and restart. See if it detects and installs the second optical drive.

#5 Ritter

Ritter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:26 PM

You are right that I installed both at the same time. Now that you mention it I have another computer dowwnstairs with two DVD Drives and they work as they should. They were installed at different times but they are also different mfgrs. However your idea seemss like a good one. I will try it and let you know.
Thanx,
Ritter

#6 Ritter

Ritter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

Well, I tried it and no luck. I even went into computer management and neither dvd drive shows up. If I go to windows explorer I see the C: dirve and the D: Drive and an F: CD Drive. When I disconnected the one new drive and restarted it came up as DVD Drive G: and I changed it to E: drive hoping when I shut down and reconnected the second dvd drive it would come up as the F: DVD Drive. But no, alas it came up as CD Drive G: just as it was when all this began. When I went to Device Mgr. I got the same thing again: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)

Any more ideas I can try short of robbing my other computer of one of it's DVD Drives and putting it in this computer?

Thanx

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

<<I have checked the BIOS more than once and cannot find anything wrong. I have set it the way I want it and the way it has been since I can't remember and it does not help.>>

Does that mean that the main page in the BIOS...reflects the two optical drives, as well as the hard drive you have installed?

Louis

#8 Ritter

Ritter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

Yes, the BIOS recognizes both of the new DVD Drives as well as my Hard Drives that are labeled C: & D: as well as the floppy disk drive recognized as A:. The BIOS does not recognize the drive letters as we all know but it does know that all the stuff is there.
I can use one of the new dvd drives as I copied some info from my hard drive yesterday. But I can't use the other DVD Drive because the computer does not even know that it is there. I can't get to any drive other than an F: Drive which is one of the 2 new drives. Or else I can get to my hard drives.
I can copy something from my DVD disk to the hard drive and then recopy to the disk again but that obviously is not what I want to do. I want to be able to use the 2 new drives that I just purchased.
I want you all to know that I appreciate the help you are trying to give me.
Thanx again,
Ritter

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

Well...I would disconnect the drive currently recognized in Windows...and connect the other drive to same cables...and see if it is properly reflected in Windows then.

If so, then I would attach the other drive to the unused cables...and see if both are recognized.

Louis

#10 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

I have a theory. When you removed your old drives, first by uninstalling them, you shut down the computer but didnt restart it, windows never had a chance to "recognize hardware changes". Also, i believe windows is still assigning the old drives drives letters to those devices, even tho they are not physically there. Those drive letters are not usable by the new drives.

so given all that, i think what you should do is:

Turn off machine, remove all new drives.

Turn machine back on and see what it says as far as cd/dvd drives. After you assess that..

Turn off machine and install one drive.

Turn it on, see what it says about that drive in BIOS, if its recognized properly...then continue to windows, and have it recognize new hardware and autoinstall drivers. You should mannually assign a drive letter to it, like "M" or one far away from the beginning of the alphabet so your computer cant have conflicts.

If/when that is all done and working properly, turn off computer and repeat steps for the new drive. If it doesnt work with both, take the other out and see if it recognizes it.

Have you checked the SATA cables and ports on mobo for damage?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#11 Ritter

Ritter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

OK I will give this a try. I think you are correct in that I uninstalled the two drives but did not restart windows. I just did the switching cables that Louis suggested and it did not work. I wound up with my c & d drives and nothing else. So here we go. I only see the c & d drives so there is nothing to uninstall.

#12 Ritter

Ritter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

OK I did that and nothing. I hooked up the first drive and all went well. It ended up as a DVD Drive F: in windows explorer. Since when I would be all completed if things worked I wanted it to be the E: Drive I went to computer mgmt and changed the drive letter to E: (and it was available,as were all the others to Z:). Shut down computer and hooked up the second drive and turned it back on. Nothing. Same old. Device Manager says Code 42 again and there are no CD or DVD drives in windows explorer. Shut down computer and disconnected the one drive which was the last one I hooked up and restarted. It came up with the DVD Drive showing but now it was back to the F: Drive but it is there. Now what????????? I am at my wits end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users