Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 (32 bit) upgrade failed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

I have spent all day trying to install Windows 7 upgrade (32 bit) over the existing Vista 32 bit. The compatability issues are: Mail, which is not on Windows 7 but should not be a problem and the other one is an old uninstalled broadband modem. This modem has not been used for over two years (we are on a wireless router) nor is this modem among the program applications. However, I am advised to "download drivers" for this non existent bit of kit.
The computer came with Vista already installed.

The upgrade gets to 66% of the last stage where files and drivers are being updated, the computer reboots and stops leaving the message that the upgrade failed and that the Vista files are being replaced. Microsoft have not had the wit to leave an explaination as to WHY the upgrade failed. I have persevered and tried three attempts all with the same result.

What on earth is going on here? What am I not doing, or should be doing? Any ideas? Is this the usual scenario for Windows 7 upgrades?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 w7pro

w7pro

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

As far as the modem goes, have you tried to remove it from your device manager and see if the upgrade will continue that way?

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hi silver threads, you'd be better off to do a 'clean' install with the upgrade Windows 7.
The instructions/tutorial is here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

Thank you both for the suggestions. I must admit I did not look in the device manager for the modem and I will try that next. As far as doing a clean install is concerned, I was hoping to avoid the need to have to reinstall drivers etc as would be the case with a formatted drive. There is the choice of an upgrade (recommended) or a custom install on the CD but if I cannot get the upgrade to work next time, I will take up the suggestion for a clean install. I never expected that this upgrade CD would have to be treated as though starting over from scratch. I did not disable Norton, would that have caused a problem? Also, I was not asked for the licence key either, but assumed it would be required later in the upgrade.

Many thanks for your help

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Norton would/could cause problems! Also unplug any peripheral USB devices.

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

I have now looked in the Device Manager for the old ADSL modem (a SpeedTouch330) and it is not there, also tried a Search for it but nothing found. All I can think of now is that it is hiding in the Registry as the upgrade compatibility check brings it up each time. Is this a possibility? I do not know what I should do about Windows Mail as this is the other incompatible feature found. We do not use this, never have but if it is also causing a problem then I do not know how to remove it. As to peripherals, I left the printer, the external drive and the mouse plugged in as this was required for the compatibility check and did not realise that these should be unplugged. I would need the mouse eventually as it is a desktop, but that would not be a problem as the USB ports are at the front of the computer. This computer is using Kaspersky, (not Norton which is on my laptop) and I left it running as internet access was required for the update. If disabling this would make matters easier without risking the integrity of this computer then I will disable it temporarily. I can see the advantage of a full reformat of the hard drive which would get rid of many conflicts and I would do this if I believed the Windows 7 upgrade would then be sufficient, rather than a full copy of the OS.

Any further advice would be valued. Thank you all for your help.

#7 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Update on my Windows 7 upgrade. Did a clean install by booting from the CD and it was trouble free. I had hoped to avoid having to reinstall applications etc by upgrading over the Vista but it is a small inconvenience after all the frustration of a few days ago. Thank you for all the help and advice I do appreciate it.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

Thank you for replying back! Have fun with your Windows 7 :thumbup2:

MS_MVP.gif