Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall video card drivers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

I'm going to be upgrading my video cards in a couple of weeks from a pair of 8800GTs to 460GTXs as well as a new PSU. I plan to set my BIOS back to default settings, but I definitely should uninstall my existing video card drivers prior to cracking open my computer and swapping out the hardware, right?

I ask because the first time I downloaded new drivers on Win7 (64-bit, by the way), I tried to uninstall the old drivers like I used to on XP only to find out that Win7 automatically re-installed the drivers after rebooting (wtf?!?). I realized I could just simply download and install the drivers without uninstalling the old ones. For brand new hardware, though, I REALLY should uninstall, but I don't want my Win7 to automatically reinstall them after rebooting, is there a way to disable that? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

Since you're replacing NVIDIA boards with NVIDIA boards the same drivers should work. When you download the latest drivers from GeForce.com you'll find that the new installer gives you the option to perform a clean install, meaning the installer will remove the old drivers before installing the new ones. If you remove the NVIDIA drivers and then reboot, Windows will install the default video drivers.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Since you're replacing NVIDIA boards with NVIDIA boards the same drivers should work. When you download the latest drivers from GeForce.com you'll find that the new installer gives you the option to perform a clean install, meaning the installer will remove the old drivers before installing the new ones. If you remove the NVIDIA drivers and then reboot, Windows will install the default video drivers.

Actually, the same drivers should NOT work as I'm using drivers specifically for the 8800GTs. I have to download different ones for the 460GTXs. My question is can I uninstall the old drivers and keep it that way until I put in the new cards and THEN install the new drivers? I tried uninstalling my old drivers once before updating to the new drivers (like on XP), but after rebooting, Win7 just automatically detected that and then installed the old drivers again, thinking it would save me the trouble.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

I just checked and both boards use the same driver for Windows 7 64-bit.
http://www.geforce.com/#/Drivers/Results/26387
The latest driver version is 266.58 and if you are currently using an outdated driver then you can download and install 266.58 before you swap out the boards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users