Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Device not recognized

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Bonzer

Bonzer

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

While browsing on the web last night, a message flashed in the lower right corner indicating that unidentified hardware was attached to my computer. I had NOT attached anything. Then a message bubble appeared that said "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message." I followed the trouble-shooting guide, which provided no solution other than replacing the unit.

It's my HP Deskjet F4240 All-in-One that's connected via the USB port and now will not print from the computer (it still makes copies). I am running Win XP. I checked all the connections, tried a different USB port, completely un-installed the printer and completely re-installed it and I still have the same problem and the same message. Is there anything else I can do before I just take this thing out to the trash barrel and switch the problem-solving mode to "where the heck am I gonna get the $$$ for another printer"? Doggone thing isn't even 3 years old yet.

Thanks for whatever suggestions you can give...

Bonster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

Did you uninstall and reinstall the drivers?

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any error in the Universal Serial Bus controllers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

I did look in the Device Manager. It does not show any errors. It shows "unknown device." When I right-click on that it and click on "properties", the device status box states" No drivers are installed for this device. If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter." I went through their entire troubleshooting process and "uninstalled" the driver which it said wasn't there in the first place and then clicked on "scan for new hardware" and it did its thing and the message came up "your new hardware is installed and ready to use" but the printer still doesn't show on my printer list, and the device manager still shows that no drivers are installed.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

The printer isn't a plug and play device, it should have come with a CD for installing the drivers. Do you have this CD?

You haven't indicated what your operating system is, so I can't direct you to the specific site to download the drivers, but he following link should get you to the point where you need to choose your OS and continue from there for the download.

HP Deskjet F4200 All-in-One Printer series - Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

I'm running Windows XP as I previously indicated and I have completely de-installed and re-installed the printer using the original CD that came with the printer from HP. I would have no idea how to do it without the CD. Is installing the drivers another step in addition to that? I don't remember that from installing it initially, but will give it a try anyway. Thanks.

#6 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

I just downloaded the software and drivers (drivers didn't come separately) from the HP site and went through the entire install process again. Device manager still says it's an unknown device and no drivers are installed for this device. Is there anything else I can do, or is this printer just toast?

#7 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

Can someone please tell me if I need to get a new printer? I REALLY need to have an operational printer since I'm job-hunting. Is it time to give up on this one? Thanks.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

One other thing to try is to go to the Device manager, right click on My Computer and click on Scan for hardware changes.

Does the printer show up in the Control Panel under Printer and Faxes?

Edited by dc3, 05 February 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#9 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

The printer doesn't show up under Printer and Faxes in the Control Panel. It's as though it never existed. I did go to Device manager, right-click on computer and click on Scan for hardward changes. It goes through a very quick scan in which a small window pops up saying "Scanning plug and play compliant hardware". Then the window goes away and nothing changes from before.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

When you look in the Device Manager under USB controllers, is USB Printing Support listed?

#11 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

No, USB Printing Support is not listed. There are 9 listings when my printer is powered up. The first 3 say "SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller", and when you look further into them they say "PCI bus0, device 3 function 0" (for the first one), the same except "function 1" for the second one, the same except "function 2" for the third one. The fourth one is listed as "SiS PCI to USB Open Host Controller" and looking further it reads "PCI bus 0, device 3 function 3" The next five are all listed as "USB Root Hub", except the first one of this group reads "Unknown Device" when the printer is turned on, and disappears when it's turned off. The USB Root Hubs all read Universal Serial Bus controllers Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller) Location 0.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Can you install this printer on another computer to see if it works with it? If you can, and it doesn't work there it would be pretty indicative of a failed machine.

#13 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

Don't know where I could try installing this printer elsewhere. However, this afternoon I purchased another printer and a new USB cable, thinking that the problem is one or the other (and being assured I can return either or both). Tried the new USB cable with the same results as the old one. So it has to be the printer, right? So, I unpack and install the new printer and get THE VERY SAME RESULTS AS FROM THE OLD ONE!!!!! Can this be real? USB Device not recognized - and it still doesn't matter which cable I use or which USB port. So it's my computer that's the problem? Help!!

#14 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

Since it now seems that my printer is not the problem, do I need to re-post my problem in another area? If so, what area? I haven't got the first idea what could be wrong. I don't even know what question to ask. Any help would surely be appreciated. I've been without a working printer for a week now and I desperately need a fix on this. Thanks for anything you can do to help.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have SP3 installed?

Look in the BIOS to see if your USB devices are enabled, this may be listed as legacy devices.

In the device manage uninstall all the drivers in the universal serial bus controllers and then restart your computer.

Edit: If you have trouble getting to sleep peruse this article at Microsoft regarding unrecognized devices.

Edited by dc3, 09 February 2011 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users