Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warped Hardware?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stepy67

Stepy67

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

(I also posted this in the Windows 7 Forum)

My Toshiba laptop has been overheating lately. Looked online and saw that this is a common problem with Toshibas. As I currently live in Indonesia (from Tennessee originally) I dont know where to buy the spray cleaner things (yes, thats what I call them...lol i dont know the technical name or brand name.) So when it overheats I usually let it cool down for a bit then restart and just try and keep the bottom elevated so it can cool consistently.

Tonight it overheated and when I went to restart, it restarted normally until it got to the main screen. Things looked ok, but when I moved the mouse it moved for just a second and then everything froze. Not just the mouse, I tried hitting tab,etc to make things move but nothing would happen. Not even the trusty ctl-alt-del magic would happen. I restarted into safe mode and things are ok.

Any suggestions?? Is it just from the overheating? Is something warped? Or do I have a possible virus or something?

Please help...my laptop is my only means of communication to friends and family back home!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

You should take it apart to inspect and clean. Found this website for multiple Toshiba laptops. See if yours is there and
look at the instruction for disassembly to see if you want to attempt it.
Repair4Laptop: How to Upgrade, Repair, Disassemble a Toshiba Laptop or Notebook

You should have a user manual either on the laptop, online or booklet form.
In my opionion using compressed air on a laptop is just blowing the dust around and not getting it clean.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users