Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Laptop freezes upon startup unless in safe mode!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stepy67

Stepy67

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

My Toshiba laptop has been overheating lately. Looked online and saw that this is a common problem with Toshibas. As I currently live in Indonesia (from Tennessee originally) I dont know where to buy the spray cleaner things (yes, thats what I call them...lol i dont know the technical name or brand name.) So when it overheats I usually let it cool down for a bit then restart and just try and keep the bottom elevated so it can cool consistently.

Tonight it overheated and when I went to restart, it restarted normally until it got to the main screen. Things looked ok, but when I moved the mouse it moved for just a second and then everything froze. Not just the mouse, I tried hitting tab,etc to make things move but nothing would happen. Not even the trusty ctl-alt-del magic would happen. I restarted into safe mode and things are ok.

Any suggestions?? Is it just from the overheating? Is something warped? Or do I have a possible virus or something?

Please help...my laptop is my only means of communication to friends and family back home!!

Edited by Stepy67, 02 February 2011 - 01:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

When your computer works fine when it is in 'Safe Mode' it normally points to a start-up program or driver problem. If you can only run in 'Safe Mode', try starting in 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' and then use the SFC utility to check for damaged or corrupt system files.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
This one might be easier to understand:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
Let us know if it finds and/or repairs any damaged system files.
If the result is 'No integrity violations', then try the 'Clean Boot' troubleshooting method to try and narrow down the offending culprit.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
I hope this is of some help to you. I'm not always around to reply but there are more than enough qualified technicians here to assist you.

#3 Stepy67

Stepy67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:31 AM

Thanks! As I started to do the SFC utility, I thought to maybe just do a system restore to a couple of days ago. Did that and everything seems to be working fine again. Thanks so much for your reply!! I have the information saved just in case it happens again!! :)

#4 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:33 AM

You may want to check your PC for viruses just in case. Try running MalwareBytes just to be sure http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

#5 Stepy67

Stepy67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

Yeah apparently its not fixed. Its the new Windows update thats screwing it up. It worked fine after I did the system restart, then once I shut the computer down, it did the automatic update....and when I restarted the computer later....SAME problem as before. So, now the question is....how can I keep my computer from doing the auto update? And if I keep it from doing this, how badly will it effect the computer?

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

You will need to set it to "Notify for download and notify for install. This option notifies a logged-on administrative user prior to the download and prior to the installation of the updates".

From the control panel, click on 'Action Center' > Windows Update (left hand column on the bottom) > Change settings.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 ThomasDG

ThomasDG

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

It could very well be a driver problem still. When the windows updater attempts to do updates, it can often update drivers incorrectly. If you see any kind of graphics drivers, or any drivers for that matter, double check that they are the correct ones before installing them.

#8 Stepy67

Stepy67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Thanks everyone!! Changed the settings. ThomasDG - how do I know which are which? Sorry, I am probably the most computer illiterate 20 something on the planet!!

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Stepy67
Download VEW by Vino Rosso http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your desktop

Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt.

Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left

Under Select type to list on the right click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP).

Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run

Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad

Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply. This may show us if it's a driver.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users