Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sudden development of shut down issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

Good morning to all. Hope everyone is staying warm.

Last week devastated me. I got slam dunked by something that busted through my security and wiped out my AV ware and before it let me go, did a complete rewrite on my C Drive. I ended up having to change out the drive and then doing a complete reformat and clean reinstall of my OS. Got the machine back up.

My link Been working in the "Am I infected" forums, to make sure that there are no lingering traces of anything. This machine was given a clean bill of health.

The reason for me coming here, is a problem that came out of the blue, happened yesterday, 2/1/11, twice and not since. Since doing the reformat and fresh install I reinstalled the driver package for my MOBO. I have one driver that is being difficult. I cannot find the right driver. I am wondering if that missing driver, might be the cause for the sudden shut downs I experienced yesterday. Maybe that missing driver caused a conflict between the programs I was using to clean this machine, and something on my MOBO. I have no idea.

The problem driver, is PCI Simple Communications Controller. I have tried every driver on the HP website where I got the driver package for my MOBO. I have received error messages that say, 1. this driver is not installed because the hardware cannot be found. 2. The driver is not right for the installed hardware. 3. This driver is not compatible with MOBO. Each time it is a new problem. Never the same one twice. I finally became so frustrated with the problem I uninstalled the hardware, but it is still there, and I am reminded of it every time I do a restart so it's something on the MOBO, I think.

What is needed to track down this problem hardware and driver?

Castoffpolite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

Okay, I had a DUH! moment.

I figured out the driver. It was staring me in the face the whole time. My tunnel vision was on full and I didn't see it, then I read a post about chipset items and the light bulb went on.

Thank You.

Castoffpolite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users