Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is extremely slow after going waking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 starnz

starnz

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop that I have had for about 5 years. Recently, I have noticed that when I first turn the computer on it runs great but after letting it sit idle for a while it runs extremely slow, if at all.

The problem was first noticed a couple weeks ago. Initially the computer kept turning off, first when I was doing computer intensive things(using music or video) then when I was just browsing the internet. When the computer would suddenly turn off, it would be as though you turned off a light switch. If I tried to turn it back on, the light would just flash when I hit the power button but not turn on. It was as though it needed to cool down because after 30 secs or so, it would turn back on no problem. After researching, I figured this must mean it overheated and thought the fan or cooling system was bad. So I decided to take the computer apart and inspect the fan, heatsink, and vents. Once opened with the fan out, I saw there was a lot of dust built up so I cleaned it all out and reassembled everything. I also downloaded the program Speedfan to monitor the internal temperature.

After I got everything back up and running, Speedfan was giving me a core temperature between 48 and 58C. I don't know if this is good or not so I got a chill pad but it hasn't made much of a difference. I have noticed that since cleaning out the inside, the computer no longer shuts off on its own. The problem now is that the computer runs extremely slow if left idle for an extended amount of time. Sometimes its so slow that I think its frozen.

I have tried the BIOS diagnostic tool and tested all components but they all test as working. I have tried online scans and Malwarebytes for spyware but they find nothing. I have run CCleaner and Advanced SystemCare and the system still runs the same. I tried looking for the memory dumps from when the computer would shut itself off but none were created. I have run Belarc and attached the results for my system information. I also ran the autoruns and have attached that log as well.

Hopefully someone here can help with this issue because as of now my system is almost unusable.

Thanks in advance!

ps: Uploader not allowing my files, will upload to next post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

Here are my attachments....

EDIT: Removed Belarc attachment, reflected keys for Vista, among other licensed products ~ Hamluis.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

suggestions of general maintenance for all PCs:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

Edited by zbd, 02 February 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#4 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the reply,

After checking the posted links, it appears I have done most of the suggested maintenance and fixes. Since the system info didn't post, it is as follows:

WIndows Vista service pack 2

2.00 gigahertz AMD Turion 64 X2
1024 kilobyte primary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

119.94 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
37.64 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 081201-0] Version 4.8.1229
Virus Definitions Version Up To Date
Realtime File Scanning Off
avast! Antivirus
Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus

#5 bonzo905

bonzo905

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hi. When the system is unning that slow, is your hard drive activity light running hard? Does it continue to run hard, or does it eventually slow down? If it slows down, does your performance pickup at that point?
In your system specs, you list 2 different anti-virus software programs. Is this correct, or is one of them anti-spyware only?

#6 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

After the computer wakes from either the screensaver or hibernation, it is very slow and there is hard drive activity going on. However, now that you mention it, my hard drive light blinks frequently even when I'm not using it. I never noticed this but could this be a sign of what the real problem is? I do have and automatic backup that runs in the background but the light flashes even when all backups are up to date.

After looking at the two programs mentioned, I have uninstalled the AdAware since it was also serving as antivirus. Now I am noticing an error message about unresponsive script and asking if I want to stop the script or wait. I hit stop script but then it comes up again. Next I get a message saying windows is running slow and there aren't enough resources to run the vista color scheme. Do these error messages help any?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

<<I have uninstalled the AdAware since it was also serving as antivirus.>>

FWIW: Ad-Aware has never been an AV program. If any user has been using it for that purpose...I suspect that there us a high chance of system infection.

In fact, Ad-Aware (at this time) is not even considered a very good program to have installed, in addition to a reliable AV program.

Louis

#8 bonzo905

bonzo905

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Did ad-aware uninstall correctly. Have a look at this post for that:
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t9585.html

Your AutoRuns log also shows you have Spybot S&D installed. I`ve had alot of issues with it as well. I`d also suggest turning off the WD backup utility and iTunes from starting with Windows and see how that goes.

#9 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

I believe my program uninstalled with no problem. I have Revo and it does a pretty good job I think.

I will try deleting the two programs from start up and report back.

Thanks!

#10 bonzo905

bonzo905

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

I'd also try disabling iobit and Google desktop from running on startup as well. They could be working your system pretty hard after it idles for awhile.

Another one you may consider stopping is your 5-day forecast. I had a friend with a netbook that started to crawl after a WeatherNetwork gadget was installed.

I have another stretch of the imagination for you as well. If your system started behaving this way after you cleaned it out and installed SpeedFan, I don't recommend putting the dust back in, but how about removing SpeedFan? I don't have anything against that program, just trying to eliminate the possibility of a coincidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users