Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Rogue uses AVG Antivirus 2011 real product name

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002090.html

A rogue was recently discovered to be using AVG's logo and reputable name, hoping to mislead and trick people into purchasing the fake AV.

FAKE:
Posted Image

REAL:

Posted Image

EDIT TO ADD: BC's Remove AVG Antivirus 2011 (Uninstall Guide): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-avg-antivirus-2011

Edited by Union_Thug, 02 February 2011 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Davkal

Davkal

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks cause i was thinking this was Rogue:Win32/FakeXPA under one of its many names.

#3 lesanelms

lesanelms

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

Opened an email but did not open the link that was in the e-mail. Immediately got a pop up from AVG that there was a virus detected and I should click on the pop up. Didn't occur to me that I have avast, not AVG until it was too late. Now I cannot get on line, it says the firefox.exe file cannot be found. Same with IE and Chrome. Ran a virus scan with avast, freeze up makes it impossible to run a thorough scan. Can run a quick scan but it shows nothing. Defender shows nothing. Get "Not responding" often and freeze up of screen. been getting the not responding notice for a while. Months. Running vista home premium on dell studio (I think it is a 1735) Need this computer as I bring work home to finish--haven't gotten finished yet this weekend! Was able to open IE this morning in emergency mode, but could not go anywhere as there was a malicious file detected. I do not have malwarebytes. Can I download it to disk on another computer and take it to the infected computer? RKill also? Help?

Edited by lesanelms, 20 February 2011 - 11:22 AM.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

@lesanelms: You need to start a topic in the "Am I Infected" forum after you've read this topic

Sorry I can't be of any assistance, only BC Malware response team staff, admins, etc are qualified to advise on removal of malware.Good Luck!

Edit to add: I see you've posted a topic here

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 February 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#5 Sector17

Sector17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:57 AM

I would imagine AVG's legal team is thrilled about this one! Ok, off to write a blog post for my clients, who all run (real) AVG!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users