Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Do List

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Baldo

Baldo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hello-

Can anyone possibly provide a comprehensive list of tasks that one should keep up with, to keep their system running safe & efficiently?

For instance:

- what needs to be backed up & how often - recommended tools to do this
- defrag
- any recommendations on other detection programs (other than anti-virus) & how often to have it scan
- updates / service packs
- anything else you can possibly think of? I guess whatever you would typically do on your own system.

NOTE: Im running Win Vista Home Premium (sp1)

I hope this is the correct area to post this in. If not, i do apologize.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hello-

Can anyone possibly provide a comprehensive list of tasks that one should keep up with, to keep their system running safe & efficiently?

For instance:

- what needs to be backed up & how often - recommended tools to do this

I always suggest that EVERYONE use disk imaging software on a regular basis. This type of backup is best saved to a separate or external drive or to disks. The best such software is Acronis True Image, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

- defrag

I defrag weekly, but for most folks once a month is fine.

- any recommendations on other detection programs (other than anti-virus) & how often to have it scan

You MUST have a good antivirus utility installed and resident at all times. Other than that, scanning with MalwareBytes once a week or so is a good idea. I also recommend SpywareBlaster (free edition) as a passive measure for your browser - definitions should be updated weekly

- updates / service packs

You should allow Windows Update to install updates automatically - but only Windows updates, NOT hardware / driver updates. You should always have the latest available service pack installed for your os

- anything else you can possibly think of? I guess whatever you would typically do on your own system.

Carefully blow out the dust from inside the computer (compressed air marketed especially for electronic components is best) at least twice a year. You can also run checkdisk a couple of times a year (To check the hard drive right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.)

NOTE: Im running Win Vista Home Premium (sp1)

I hope this is the correct area to post this in. If not, i do apologize.

Thank you.

One other thing. There is NOTHING more important than "smart computing". Never open an email attachment unless it is from someone you know AND your are sure you know what it is. Do not click on links to websites unless you are certain you know where they will take you. Do not let anyone else use your admin account. In short, if you pay attention to what you are doing you should never have any issues other than the normal wear and tear that eventually strikes all mechanical devices and components.

Edited by Allan, 02 February 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#3 Baldo

Baldo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

Good stuff Allan, thank you!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Sure thing.

#5 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

To that excellent advice may I add .... put in place an extra layer of protection with Sandboxie (freeware).I've no connection to the prog, merely very pleased user in XP and Vista.
"Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer."

More from here: http://www.sandboxie.com/

Benefits of the Isolated Sandbox

• Secure Web Browsing: Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.
  • Enhanced Privacy: Browsing history, cookies, and cached temporary files collected while Web browsing stay in the sandbox and don't leak into Windows.
  • Secure E-mail: Viruses and other malicious software that might be hiding in your email can't break out of the sandbox and can't infect your real system.
  • Windows Stays Lean: Prevent wear-and-tear in Windows by installing software into an isolated sandbox.

#6 Baldo

Baldo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Interesting - i will check it out, thank you!

#7 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:14 AM

You're welcome! I hope it's of interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users