Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Secondary Hard Drive After Restore From Backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 and I have four hard drives in my computer labeled C, E, F and G. A few days ago I got a BSOD and my computer wouldn't start up after that. I've been having a few problems with the C drive lately so I bought a replacement and restored from my Acronis TrueImage 2010 backup. That went fine and my computer now works as it did before with my F and G drives connected, but not my E drive. If I try to start up with my E drive connected my computer just gets stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen. If I look at my BIOS settings with it connected it is not listed. It's a pretty new drive and I've never had any problems with it before. Please can someone tell me how I can start using it again?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Librarat

Librarat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

If your G drive isn't showing up at post/in the BIOS, it means that your computer is getting timeouts when trying to communicate with it (this *could* have been the cause of your BSOD's if for some reason you had your paging file set here for example). Subsequently, if your motherboard/bios aren't seeing it, neither will Windows. Just doublecheck that it's plugged in properly with the right cables and power adapter. Try a different cable for power/data and try a different port.

If none of those work, you have a dead drive :-\

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Are these IDE or SATA drives?

If IDE and you have swapped the position on the cable it is plugged into then it may be a hard drive jumper setting, in particular on the problem drive, needs changed.

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

I tried using a different data cable and that didn't make any difference. I also tried removing the drive and inserting it into an external hard drive enclosure and connecting via USB, but nothing happenened. All my hard drives are SATA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users