Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Attach in e-mail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Dear people,

If the sound of my topic: Is it smart when you open an e-mail with attach, I say no, it is not, the risk for a Virus or Trojan is 99,999% .
I read many times messages from people that their computer is infected after opened e-mail with attach.
When you receive an e-mail from a known person and you knows for 100 % sure that the computer from that person is Virus\Trojan clean, than you can do that, but than is the question there, how must you sure or the computer from the other is clean.? You don't.
I say and I stay say with this, the smart solution is, when you got an e-mail with attach, ignore this.
But if you want open the e-mail, than ask the sender, or the e-mail with attach is from him\her and what he or she did sent to you.

Further want I add one remarkable: When you have not experiences with Hijackthis tools, don't use the tools.
Because when you do that without experience, than the risk is there that you destroy your operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Email Attachments: How to Protect Yourself:

When you have not experiences with Hijackthis tools, don't use the tools.
Because when you do that without experience, than the risk is there that you destroy your operating system.

That is good advice.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Thank you Quietman7, but it is also good, that you entering the links with tips.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

You're welcome. :)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

Great post, great advice. But one thing to be aware of is, that if I'm not mistaken, and my research is correct, I have found that most of the older email worms and email viruses transmitted directly through .exe attachments are very rare, and most families of those types of malware are even extinct. From what I've seen and read, this is because most of the common email clients, like Microsoft Outlook 2010, Mozilla Thunderbird, and Windows Live mail, block those types of files by extension. I'm pretty sure that the list of blocked extensions is quite long, but it includes, .vbs, .exe, .au3, and .js. Basically anything that can be run either by an exploit or by the user after the attachment is opened. Feel free to either correct me, or add more in subsequent posts if I have made any mistakes.

Regards,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#6 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

I saw a topic what is interesting and I found it important that I give here the link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html

My opinion is, people can not be safety enough.
It is better that people see the extra information, than that they forgot how important a good security is.
In the post from Grinler, would been not spoken over family, or maybe have I missed something, could be, but when you get an e-mail from family and one of them has not told you, that he or she send you an e-mail with attachment, than is it smart that you ask or the e-mail is from him\her or that you delete that e-mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users