Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My wireless network has failed - neighbour's network works fine

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kennydevon

kennydevon

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

Hi BC

I am using XP. My wireless network is using the "G Wireless Modem Router3 by Belkin. It is running unsecured.

The network normally runs adequately - there are annoying moments when it just seems to freeze, but 30 seconds later it comes back to life.

Yesterday it was performing as usual (ie adequately). Today I cannot connect to the internet at all, either with IE or Mozilla (my normal browser). When I look at the network status all seems well - it is shown as connected, and the signal strength is "excellent". But the efforts to connect just time out: Mozilla says that "the connection was reset", lets you "try again", but it never connects.

I have AVAST running in fully protected mode. I decided to run Malwarebytes to check for anything unusual. It asked if I wanted to update the virus database - I agreed - it then hung, presumably because it could not make its connection! I ran it again, this time refusing to do the update, and it completed a Quick Scan reporting no problems found.

I disconnected from my network, and connected to a neighbour's unsecured network, and everything worked fine.

I switched my router off and on and tried my network again - same problem.

I tried doing a "repair" on the connection (by right clicking on the taskbar icon) - this operation rarely seems to complete normally on my computer. It frequently times out with a message like "unable to connect", but when you then examine the network status you find that the connection has been made and all is well. It is not unusual therefore to have an error message. However this time there was a different error message - I didn't take special note of it at the time, but it was something about being unable to clear some kind of cache - this is the only truly unusual thing I can point you to.

I have recently been through a successful detox of my system, courtesy of BC, which was very successful. It has been a couple of weeks since that and there have been no problems since, so I dont think the current problem is related, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Can you help, please?

Kenny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ryladine

ryladine

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:16 AM

When you rebooted your router, did you unplug every wire from it, for atleast 30 seconds?
"Ignorance is not stupidity, refusing to correct it is. Stupidity should be a crime punishable by death." A soon to be famous quote by: Ryladine

Most scientist's think that man is the dominant species on earth, I know the truth, its not man that is the dominant species, its cats.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

The error you saw was probably "failed to clear DNS cache".

Lets try this. Go to start > run type in cmd hit enter. At the flashing prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns

You will get a message that it either succeeded or failed. If it succeeds then attempt to connect to your network. Let us know.

Side note. I would strongly recommend securing your network, at the least changing the default password on your router. It is possible that someone may already accessed it and changed settings. This may be the source of your trouble.

#4 kennydevon

kennydevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hi ThunderZ,

First, thanks for taking the time to help me.

The error you saw was probably "failed to clear DNS cache".
I SUBSEQUENTLY RAN THE REPAIR AGAIN - THE MESSAGE CONCERNED THE ARP CACHE

Lets try this. Go to start > run type in cmd hit enter. At the flashing prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns

You will get a message that it either succeeded or failed. If it succeeds then attempt to connect to your network. Let us know.
DONE - GET AN OK - HOWEVER STILL SAME PROBLEM

Side note. I would strongly recommend securing your network, at the least changing the default password on your router. It is possible that someone may already accessed it and changed settings. This may be the source of your trouble.
HOW DO I DO THIS?

KENNY

PS TO RYLADINE - SINCE THE PROBLEM DOESN'T EXIST FOR THE NEIGHBOUR'S NETWORK, I DONT THINK ITS RELATED TO THE ROUTER, BUT I'LL LEAVE IT LONGER NEXT TIME

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

Ok. Lets try one thing at a time.

First we will see about dealing with the ARP cache. The below info is taken from this page.
Should you choose to visit the page please ignore the

Recommended Fix:Click here to Fix Windows Errors and Optimize Windows Performance

To flush/Delete the ARP cache in windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/Server 2003/2008 follow this procedure.

Click on start > run > type the following command > netsh interface ip delete arpcache click ok

This may take several minutes to complete. Please allow it to do so.

Edited by ThunderZ, 02 February 2011 - 11:36 AM.

#6 ryladine

ryladine

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

kennydevon, The fact that you can connect to your neighbors network just fine says to me that it most likely is your router, but I do not do a great deal of networking, so I'll leave your thread to ThunderZ since he seems to know more about than I do, have a good day, and I hope your issue is resolved without too much trouble.
"Ignorance is not stupidity, refusing to correct it is. Stupidity should be a crime punishable by death." A soon to be famous quote by: Ryladine

Most scientist's think that man is the dominant species on earth, I know the truth, its not man that is the dominant species, its cats.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

Is this the router?

If so it appears to be a bit dated in that it only supports WEP encryption\security.

#8 kennydevon

kennydevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

To Ryladine - many thanks.

Hi ThunderZ,

The router is F5D7634uk4A although that doesnt come up on the Belkin UK site.

Ran the ARP cache delete - problem persists

Kenny

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

This should be all you ever needed to know about your router.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

And another Belkin URL that looks like it mirrors the one ThunderZ provided.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 kennydevon

kennydevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hi ThunderZ

Thanks for Belkin link
I've implemented WPA security now.
No change on the original problem

Kenny

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

Good deal on instituting the WPA. I will hope you also assigned\changed the password for gaining access to the Router. I believe I read by default there is not a password assigned.

There are a couple of things we can move on to now. From the symptoms you describe I am going to guess it may be a firmware problem. Firmware is a piece of software\program embedded into a chip on the circuit board with in the router. A mini operating system if you will.

You will need to access the router interface once again. On one of the pages, usually the first, it will show the firmware version. You will then need to cross reference it to the latest vers available at the Belkin site.
Following one of the links that mention firmware provided by either Animal or I should lead you to the latest vers. available. If you have any questions about the procedure or if you are choosing the correct vers. please post prior to moving on.

EDIT Just took a little deeper look at the Belkin site. It would appear the Router has the ability to check for firmware upgrades built-in. Instructions here.

One other thing. You say this has been an on going problem. The thought of two firewalls possibly running comes to mind. If you are running a security application that has a firewall included did it\have you disabled the XP firewall?

Edited by ThunderZ, 02 February 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#13 kennydevon

kennydevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:01 AM

Hi Thunder

Good deal on instituting the WPA. I will hope you also assigned\changed the password for gaining access to the Router. I believe I read by default there is not a password assigned.

DONE

There are a couple of things we can move on to now. From the symptoms you describe I am going to guess it may be a firmware problem. Firmware is a piece of software\program embedded into a chip on the circuit board with in the router. A mini operating system if you will.

You will need to access the router interface once again. On one of the pages, usually the first, it will show the firmware version. You will then need to cross reference it to the latest vers available at the Belkin site.
Following one of the links that mention firmware provided by either Animal or I should lead you to the latest vers. available. If you have any questions about the procedure or if you are choosing the correct vers. please post prior to moving on.

EDIT Just took a little deeper look at the Belkin site. It would appear the Router has the ability to check for firmware upgrades built-in. Instructions here.

NEARLY REACHED FOR THE RAZOR!! I UPDATED THE FIRMWARE AND THE ROUTER STOPPED WORKING COMPLETELY. HAD ITS ADSL LIGHT FLASHING. TRIED RESTORING MY SETTINGS BUT NO JOY. TRIED RESETTING THE ROUTER - NO JOY; TRIED THE FACTORY SETTINGS - NO JOY. THOUGHT THE FIRMWARE OPERATION HAD MADE THE ROUTER PERMANENTLY INACCESSIBLE, AND ABOUT TO BUY ANOTHER! WHEN I NOTICED THE ROUTER INTERNET SETTINGS WERE NOW BLANK! THEY WERE WIPED OUT BY THE FIRMWARE UPDATE, AND NOT RESTORED BY THE "RESTORE SETTINGS" OPERATION!! ANYWAY HAVING FOUND AND APPLIED THE INTERNET SETTINGS FROM OUR FILES, THE NETWORK RESPONDED AND WORKED LIKE LIGHTENING! I THOUGHT ALL WAS WELL UNTIL I RESTARTED THE NETWORK - SAME PROBLEM AS BEFORE. SO WENT BACK INTO BELKIN UTILITY, DID A DUMMY UPDATE OF THE INTERNET DETAILS (ie USED SAME INFO) AND INTERNET IS WORKING FINE AGAIN. IN FACT THIS MESSAGE IS BEING SENT ON MY NETWORK.

I DIDN'T WANT TO RISK NOT BEING ABLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU SO IM SENDING THIS NOW. WHEN I QUIT THE INTERNET (AND THE BELKIN UTILITY) I'LL TRY AGAIN TO ACCESS THE INTERNET NORMALLY AND LET YOU KNOW THE RESULT.

One other thing. You say this has been an on going problem. The thought of two firewalls possibly running comes to mind. If you are running a security application that has a firewall included did it\have you disabled the XP firewall?

THE FIREWALL SETTING ON THE ROUTER IS SET TO ON
THE WINDOWS FIREWALL IS ON
THE AVAST SYSTEM DOES NOT EXPLICITLY MENTION A FIREWALL? EXCEPT IN RELATION TO THE PAID UPGRADE SERVICE - IT HAS 6 TYPES OF PROTECTION PERMANENTLY RUNNING - FILE, MAIL, BEHAVIOUR, WEB, P2P, IM - COULD ANY OF THESE BE CAUSING THE PROBLEM?

I'M OFF TO TRY AGAIN

#14 kennydevon

kennydevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hi Thunder,

I don't get it - everything seems to be working fine now! I'd love to have the full explanation but I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth.

I only tried it for a couple of minutes, but it's as fast as its ever been. Here's hoping I'm cured.

Can you keep this open for a couple of days just in case the problems return?

Many thanks for your input - you guys are amazing - its much appreciated.

Kenny

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the update.

The Belkin firewall and Windows firewall should be ok together. Just wanted to make sure that you did not have two firewalls running on the PC.

Regarding Avast. I like and use the free addition myself. However, you may have some protection running that is not needed. But that is for another forum and another thread as I do not believe it is related.

Let us know how your connection behaves. There is at least one other thing we can try that might help if you are still experiencing problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users