Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Boot Start Up?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:56 AM

I had to do a system repair after SP@ got/was messed up and went back to SP!..anyway every time I start up I get a pick a start up boot sequence ??? don't quote me on that one..or the current one will begin in I think it is about 15 seconds. It has 2 at the top Run current... and restore to the original?? and then further down it has some more options. But, no matter which I click I still get it when I start? I hope you can understand all of this babbling :thumbsup: Any help will be much appreciated.

TYIA,

La Princess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:44 AM

Right click on my computer, click on properties, click on the advanced tab. Then click on settings under Startup and Recovery. This is where you can control the boot timeouts etc. If you click edit you can edit the boot.ini which contains the listings of the various options when you get to that screen.

Remove those entries that you do not want, or if you dont feel comfortable post it here, and someone will tell you what to remove.

#3 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:25 PM

Here is what it has under edit??

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /KERNEL=boot.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Restore Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

So sorry for being such a nuisance :thumbsup:

Thank you for all of your help,

La Princess

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:29 PM

Do you want the timeout shorter and only showing one option?

#5 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:44 PM

What ever you think would be the best since I don't have a clue...I think the answer is "Yes"

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:53 PM

Change the timeout=30 to timeout=5

And Remove this line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Restore Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Then reboot and you should only have one option that give syou a 5 second pause.

#7 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:10 PM

Thank you so very very much Grinler :thumbsup:

La Princess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users