Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

Hi,

Nice change around here.

Anyhow, I unfortunately did a 3M "Windows Registry Repair Pro" repair. It found over 800 registry errors and I let it clean the registry.

When I restarted my PC I got the Blue Screen of Death! Ahhh!

I am offered to do a Windows Repair by Microsoft Windows 7 but the last time I did that Windows 7 was left a paraplegic with no access to any programs what so ever. A .dll for every program was lost.

I take 3M "Windows Registry Repair Pro" is not compatible with Windows 7 even though there is no mention of it on Instillation.

Anyhow, is there a way to recover without a total re-install?

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

You should try a system restore point. you can do this from safe-mode if you can get there, or you can use your windows disc.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

I did try that and about 4 restores are listed. I can highlight them but not get any of the check boxes to check so the "Next" tab will not highlight for the restore.

If you know why that might be and how to get around it then that might work.

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

I made the mistake of using one of those reg cleaner progs in 06 and it required re-install - I hope you're luckier than that!

Never used a reg cleaner/booster since, here's why:

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why-i-dont-use-registry-cleaners/

and here http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/registry-cleaners-and-system-tweaking_13.html

If it comes to re-install and you need to rescue your docs, photos etc etc then you can use an Ubuntu live CD to do so - guide:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Hope it helps?

Richard

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

Hi Johnz414 -
I hope you have deleted that regisrty repair program now -
If you have problems then use RevoUninstaller (free version) to remove it - Google for a download site (Cnet or any other is OK) -
Some of them are hard to remove (sneaky little programs) -

Thanks -

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:35 AM

Good morning Johnz414, I've had similar outcomes with registry cleaners and other magical cures. Every time I had to do a complete fresh installation. The latest version of AVG has one called PC Analyzer included with it and out of curiosity I let it run on a fresh install of Windows 7. It found 633 "errors" that weren't errors. There were no other programs even installed yet. I even complained to AVG about putting this rubbish in a program design to protect the operating system and they wrote back saying, "PC Analyzer was harmless!" I'd be willing to bet that they won't use it on their personal systems. Despite constant warnings not to use these programs, some one will always try one, then buy one and learn the 'hard' way. I did, not once, not twice, but three times. Don't feel alone, join the crowd... then format and reinstall.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 02 February 2011 - 06:37 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#8 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the read, I've kind of know registry cleaners may not be as friendly as the program makers lend you to believe. It's a good policy for Bleeping NOT to recommend registry cleaners.

I've had the registry cleaner program for many years. I first used it on XP where it didn't give me much problem, it even may have helped with the small drive I had then.

I hardly used it on Vista and this may be my first time using it on Windows 7 and most likely my last. (Hopefully time won't cause me to forget the lesson).

I have been recommended to use the CCleaner, I think even from here. It doesn't seem to lobotomies the registry like 3M's registry cleaner does. I think I'll stick to that unless someone gives a good objection to using it.

In the mean time I'll have to hunker down like Zuhl3156 recommends and reformat and re-install. Drats.

Lessons Learned,

John

PS I hope! Posted Image
PPS I'm using a second OS (Vista) on another partition in the mean time.
PP PS I can't wait to get back to Windows 7! It's such a friendly program!

Edited by Johnz414, 02 February 2011 - 04:57 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#9 Zomalaja

Zomalaja

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

You may want to consider investing in a program like Acronis True Image or Ghost. No matter what happens, it will re-create the drive exactly as it was when you made the backup

I do not have anything to do with Acronis except that I am a satisfied customer.......
I do not have anything to do with Ghost at all.

#10 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hi Zomalaja,

Thanks for the advice, it reminded me that I have an Acronis True Image program free from my Hard Drive maker Western Digital and I had used it back on November 3rd.

I found the copy and re-installed it. it works great except that it won't pass the Windows Genuine Advantage test?

Any suggestions for fixing this?

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#11 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

Try these two links:
1) http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/validatenow.aspx
2) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/faq

#12 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

I just had to restart my PC and I was asked to reenter the Windows 7 key again. I'm set, thanks for the tip using Acronis again.

John
John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users