Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible False Positive/ Trojan.win32.generic!BT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Noobie

The Noobie

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hello, i'm new to the form, but i'm having a problem. I scanned my computer with ad-aware and i had three hits, Webhancer, trojan.win32.generic!bt, and a lot of cookie stuff(32 to be exact). I quarntined the Webhancer and trojan and deleted the cookie ones. I then scanned with spybot s & d and didn't get any hits. So did ad-aware have a false positive? or am i really in trouble? Thanks for the help!

Edited by Budapest, 01 February 2011 - 10:09 PM.
Moved from Introductions ~BP

~I'ma Noobie, but I'm learning! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

Did your Ad-aware provide a specific file(s) name associated with the malware threat(s) detection and if so, where was it located (full file path) at on your system? Or was the detection found in a registry key?

Each security vendor uses their own naming conventions to identify various types of malware so it's difficult to determine exactly what has been detected or the nature of the infection without knowing more information about the actually file(s) involved. See Understanding virus names.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file for which you cannot find any information about, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 The Noobie

The Noobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hello, sorry about not responding! I forgot my username is different than the one I use to log in! lol I think it was a false positive because I didn't have problems and I don't think it's related to what's happening now. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382014.html I'm sorry if telling you about that is against the form post, but I just want to make sure these two things aren't related. Thanks and sorry for making you wait

-Noobie
~I'ma Noobie, but I'm learning! :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:56 AM

Since you started a new topic and are receiving assistance, I will close this one to avoid confusion.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users