Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SetupSam.app

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

There is an icon next to New Folder in my Finder windows labeled SetupSam.app. Doing a spotlight search for "SetupSam" yields nothing, but I found it in user/Library/toolbar scripts. If I click on the icon I get a "the variable hone is not defined" message and applescript opens.

I think it might have come from the Akamai software I had to install in order to download/install photoshop 9 trial - from the adobe photoshop 9 website. I have uninstalled both photoshop 9 and the akami software. I don't know when this icon showed up in Finder, but I don't think it was there originally when I got my mac in August.

Anyone know what this is? Googling "setupsam" and "setupsam.app" didn't yield anything that seemed pertinent.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

I don't know how good Finder's search is but you could see if it can find the original source of the file.
Open a Finder window.
In the Search bar type in SetupSam.app or SetupSam.
Click on the + icon that is next to the Save button.
In the Kind drop down menu choose Other...
Scroll down to choose Original Source.

There might be something that I'm missing as I have never tried this before.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Thanks Buddyme2

I tried a search for Original Source per your directions but it doesn't yield anything. I don't understand why spotlight fails to find the file but I can see it in Finder. I used to sometimes be able to figure out what program dll, exe, etc files came from by rightclick > properties, but the only info I got from command + i was that the file was created Nov 5, 2010.

The file's icon is the script icon and I'm now thinking it's an example I worked of an apple script from an apple training series book. The location is right and it's the only file in that folder.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users