Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which piece of hardware is causing my problems??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MizKittey

MizKittey

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

About 4 weeks back, I realized that my computer was not happy, although it likely started long before then but I was busy with the Holidays.

I have a Gateway MX6453 laptop that I purchased Jan'07, running XP Sp3, 2G RAM, AMD Turion processor, and 320G of HD memory. My first real indication of a problem came when I tried running a manual backup of my computer using Norton Ghost. It would run until 95% complete, the just hang for hours, never completing. This happened several times, and other random/unduplicatable (??) problems. My biggest frustration was that the computer was so SLOW - taking as long as 10 minutes to Restart, launching IE was an excruciating period of time, and let's not even talk about trying to launch Outlook. Since it had been about 2 years since the last reformat, my first course of action was to do just that - reformatted the HD back to factory settings. Updated all software, made sure I had the latest and greatest drivers from the Gateway web site. Still a very slow computer..........Updated/ flashed BIOS, ran CCleaner, defragmented disk. Still very slow. :angry:

Searched web Forums & Google for other potential reasons for the slowness. Now realizing that my problem is most likely not software related, but hardware. So, I tested my RAM using Memtest86 - could not get it to go beyond 11% completion on several attempts to test. So, I started removing sticks, changing the slot, etc. to determine which was bad. All tests passed!! Even put the sticks back in to their original slots and ran the test again - AND IT PASSED, although before moving the sticks around it couldn't/wouldn't!!!

OK, so now what? Deep tested the upgraded HD (Western Digital Scorpio Blue) using WD's program on their site. Ran it twice - both tests passed. So, I'm left with thinking maybe my processor is on its way out. Is there a comprehensive test program that does not need to run for days/weeks (as I am led to believe Prime95 does)?

Unless there is something else I should be testing/investigating?? I appreciate you taking the time to read this long post, and welcome any suggestions.

Thank you!

Nancy aka MizKittey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Does the laptop run hot? Sometimes it can get clogged with dust. Do you still feel air flow from the fan? Sometimes the cpu can use fresh thermal grease, it could be getting too hot. Unfortunately these are not as easy to fix on a laptop.

#3 MizKittey

MizKittey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

I downloaded Core Temp earlier today. Right now comp is running Core 0 (178-212) and Core 1 (158-178). Not sure if this is good or bad......

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

If it was run correctly it sounds extremely hot. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp
Is this the program you ran?

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

@ Crizz44

The core 1 0 temp. does look a little on the warm side.

I had a quick look yesterday for maximum temperature allowable for that particular CPU, but without success. I would like to find that figure before I get overly concerned about the 212°F temp mentioned (presuming it to be °F of course).

Have you been able to find any information on maximum allowable temperature?

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 February 2011 - 03:54 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 MizKittey

MizKittey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Crizz44 - yes, that is the program I am running.

AustrAlien - the temps are in F. From what I've found, 100C is the maximum, which converts to 212F. Right now it is running 82-83C, 180F.

Hope this info helps.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

From what I've found, 100C is the maximum, which converts to 212F.

Can you tell us, or provide a link for us to look at, where you found this information?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 MizKittey

MizKittey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Sorry, mispoke. It is actually 95c which converts to 203F. It is an AMD Turion 64 x2

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

See if this will help you : http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2947-cpu-is-overheating-temperature-problem

Do you still feel air coming from the fan?

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:08 AM

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile technology TL-52

Maximum operating temperature .... 95°C

You have said CoreTemp reported "comp is running Core 0 (178-212) and Core 1 (158-178)" ... °F

I think Crizz44 was on the correct track with her diagnosis. Based on the temperatures that you have reported, presumably under "low stress" conditions, the laptop's CPU is over-heating and causing you all sorts of grief.

The first thing that you should check, if you can, is whether the fan(s) is running or not. If that is not running at all, then you have a problem. It seems very likely that the laptop will need to be dismantled and the CPU cooling system cleaned. It is likely to have accumulated enough fluff and dust over the years to have seriously impeded air flow through the cooling system, and possibly even stopped the fan from spinning properly.

*** The following is for your information only: I am NOT suggesting that you use the information provided at this time, since we can be quite sure that your laptop has an over-heating issue, and the continued use of your laptop under these conditions may damage components.
*** Use at your own risk. ***

Test just how good the CPU cooling system really is.
  • Download Toast to your laptop's desktop.
  • Since you have a dual core processor, you need to run two instances of Toast.
    • Make a new folder on your desktop, and copy Toast into that folder, giving you two instances of Toast.
  • With CoreTemp running, and you watching the CPU temperature readings closely, double-click on both instances of Toast to run them simultaneously.
    • Watch and record the temperatures that you are seeing.
    • If the core temperatures start to approach the maximum (say 90°C), then stop Toast (both instances) immediately to avoid damaging the processor.
If you can run Toast for 20 minutes without any sign of overheating, then there is no problem with the laptop's CPU cooling system.

Edited by AustrAlien, 05 February 2011 - 01:11 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 MizKittey

MizKittey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hello AstrAlien~

Thank you for the instructions you provided in testing my CPU Temp using Toast. I did as you suggested, running two instances simultaneously. It did no take but a few seconds for Core 0 to reach above 90 - even going as high as 96 over about 30 seconds of running. I did as you instructed and turned it off immediately. The fan does have some air flow coming from it, but I'm not sure how much I should expect it to have since I have never checked it before so nothing to gauge against. However, I will take the next steps in dismantling and cleaning to see if that helps.

On another note, RAM testing. When I did the test using MemTest I was unaware that I should have performed multiple passes on each stick/configuration. So I ran it again, letting to complete a minimum of 7 passes each. The results were the same as before - all passed. Given your POV of the overheating, that is where I am now going to focus.

I will let you know what I find. Thank you!!!

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

I will take the next steps in dismantling and cleaning to see if that helps.

Take care, and good luck with that. Let us know what the temperatures look like when you have done the job.

Pleased to see that you found the instructions and have run memtest 86+ long enough to give a reliable result, and found no problems.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 MizKittey

MizKittey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

AustrAlien~

Glad to report that after cleaning the fan area/vent slot, the temps on my computer immediately dropped. Now averaging about 55C. Amazing!!! And a lesson to remember to clean these things regularly in the future.

Thanks for your help!!

Nancy :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:03 AM

Pleased to see that you have the situation under control.

Thanks for letting us know the difference that a little cleaning has made.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users