Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pdoyle

pdoyle

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

HI, could i have malware problem?
XP SP3 Gateway E-4100 desktop running fine usually, occasional slow-downs...
but yesterday the OS wouldn't load. black screen with blinking cursor...re-starting and i could get into the BIOS screen, but couldn't figure how to boot in safe mode. changed boot order to CD first.
Tried using Gateway original OS install CD; it would spin, show the Gateway green screen and make its video adjustments, then turn black again.

The only change i can think of is that we received a warning email from Comcast ISP reporting a pc on our home network had a BOT infection; didn't say which pc; we have three dekstops and 2 laptops; XP, vista, and 7.

Thinking i needed a new pc, i removed the printer usb cable to insert into a working desktop; and ingnored the gateway.
also removed a wireless mouose usb receiver.
hours later i thought i'd turn monitor back on and try to boot up again; and it showed black screen with "mouse and keyboard settings are not active"; but did allow me to boot up with hard drive, and pc worked as if there had never been a problem.
I assumed that unplugging printer cable or mouse receiver from usb's had fixed the problem; but same devices had been in use for several years.
reconnected the printer and mouse receiver, and the system continues to work fine.
my thought was to run rkill, malwarebytes, superantispyware til clean...
any other ideas? could this be the BOT warning we got from comcast? i thought it strange that comcast sent us that kind of vague warning...maybe that was malware?
thanks for any ideas; i want to prevent this from happening again. Before i knew the Gateway was operating properly, i had spent 8 hours setting up 2 different printers on the home network.
pdoyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hi pdoyle -
Do you use Ebay and any similar sites - BOTs can be items that track bids on these sites so that you can be the last bidder -
This is not the only use of BOTs but it is the most common - They are not always bad things, but this is the most common use in home uses -

Thank You -
EDIT - From WIKI -
In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (e.g., gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots. Recently bots have been used for search advertising, such as Google Adsense

Edited by noknojon, 01 February 2011 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users