Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LogonULexe.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Russell

Bill Russell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

Instead of starting Win7, my computer displays as message that "C:\Windows\system32\cryPTUL.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error...." None of the fixes I found on the Win7 DVD have not cured it. System seems to boot from DVD without error. Memory diagnostic reported no errors.

Tried to re-install, but it is Upgrade media and requires a version of Windows to be running.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Do you mean logonui.exe - (Logon User Interface) and cryptui.dll? (Microsoft Trust UI Provider)
Did you spell these right?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Bill Russell

Bill Russell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

I think the text in quotes was spelled exactly as they appeared in the error message; caps,, lower case and all. Now, I look again and this time the title of the message is "LogonUI.exe - Bad Image" and the body is "c:\Windows\System32\CRYPTUI.dll is either..." I carried this borrowed computer over to the offending machine which still has the message displayed. Yes, they are typed exactly as they appear.

The machine was upgraded from Vista to Win7 about 3 days ago. I have attempted to "Restore" to the 5 restore points since then and got the same error on each reboot.

Thanks for your interest.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

Did you do a "clean" install? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html?ltr=C

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Bill Russell

Bill Russell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

No, I did not want to re-install all my applications, so I chose "Upgrade."

Did I mention that when I attempt to boot into SAFE Mode I get the same error message? Not able to complete the boot.

A good version of cryptui.dll should be on the Upgrade DVD, but I have found no way to substitute it for the bad one even if I could find it. I am able to run a CMD window from the DVD, but have forgotten most of the DOS commands I once knew. Perhaps just deleting the corrupted file would render the problem "fixable" by the "Repair your copmputer" function off the DVD. It does find the Windows 7 install. The "Memory Test" option scans memory with no reported errors.

What happened to the "Repair Install" feature of previous Windows Install and Upgrade disks?

Thanks.

Edited by Bill Russell, 03 February 2011 - 12:05 AM.

#6 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

Microsoft Forum - This may help you.

Edited by jnk1296, 04 February 2011 - 01:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users