Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Power to IDE Devices

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Unfortunato

Unfortunato

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice here. I picked up a case (already had IDE DVD-RW drive installed) and motherboard free, and had a processor and some RAM to fit the board, so thought I'd put it all together. So I connected up an IDE hard drive (which I know works in another machine) and started the machine up. The LED light at the front comes on, and the CPU fan rotates, so power is coming into the machine. However, no light comes on at the front of the DVD drive, and the hard drive cannot be heard spinning up. Strangely, if I disconnect the ribbon cable from either of these IDE devices, and leave only the 4-pin power cable plugged on, power is getting to them - the hard drive can be heard spinning up, and the DVD drive will open/close. I've tried 2 or 3 different ribbon cables, and also tried only having one of the devices connected instead of the two of them at once, but I still get the same result. It's as if the ribbon cables, when connected, are somehow stopping power getting to the drives.

Another thing I'm getting is that no display of any type is appearing on the monitor, no BIOS screen, nothing! The monitor and VGA cable is working fine on another machine, so I know it's not that...

Any ideas?!

Edited by Unfortunato, 01 February 2011 - 03:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

Are you sure all of the front panel led connectors are in the proper positions?

#3 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:10 AM

Are you sure all of the front panel led connectors are in the proper positions?

Hi Crizz44, thanks for replying. :thumbup2:

I didn't actually fit the led connectors from the front panel to the motherboard, they had already been fitted - I'm right in thinking you mean the wires with the small, slim black connectors at the end, yes? Do they fit in pretty much a universal configuration, or would it depend on the specific motherboard?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

The headers for the front panel connections will vary by the manufacturer. Usually the header pins will be labeled, but my experience with these is that they can be difficult to read. The best solution would be to down load the manual to see the header pinout.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

How do you have these two IDE devices connected, both on the same data cable?

How do you have the jumpers set?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

I agree with DC3.
Sounds to me like they are both on the same IDE channel and are jumpered incorrectly.

If they are on the same IDE channel see if it works by putting the hard drive on the primary & the cdrom on the secondary. Jumper them both as master

Edited by Eyesee, 02 February 2011 - 02:20 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

It is difficult to know how the led connectors should be configured. And it could also be the jumper settings on the drives, even if you tried one at a time you would need to change the jumper on the hard drive alone or if its connected with a second device. You said the motherboard was new, do you know who hooked up the led connectors? Even if you have the IDE jumpers incorrect you should still get a bios screen. Have you tried testing the cmos battery for a charge?
Unfortunately you can't install the spec program, but can you give us the motherboard manufacturer and the model number? It should be on the board in good size lettering. Do you know if the person you received the tower and board from ever had it running?

#7 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

Tried a new cmos battery and pretty much every other suggestion... no initial beep from motherboard speaker on start-up, so I'm guessing the motherboard is goosed!

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Are you using an onboard video? Is it possible to try another video card on the board?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

unfortunato you said you got this motherboard for free, so am I to understand this motherboard is a used motherboard?

Can the previous owner verify if this motherboard worked prior to them giving it to you?

All motherboards have a BIOS chip that have a boot-able firmware burned into them, this section of the chip can boot a computer independent of the rest of the system.

Since your computer is NOT initiating a POST of any kind, the area you need to be looking at is the power connector coming from the PSU to the motherboard.

I would take it your computer is an ATX type motherboard, so your power connectors would be a 20 or 24 pin power connector and a 4 wire (note: some systems now come with an 8 pin) 12 Volt ATX power connector.

Make sure both are connected to the motherboard.

There seems to be some power connection happing here if your system is powering up the drives, the question we need to answer here is why the BIOS is not initiating a POST.

Try booting the system minus the cables which go to your drives, the system should boot to the BIOS screen, where it will eventually attempt to search for a boot-able device to pass on the bootstrap to. If there is NO POST of any kind, research the PSU to motherboard power connections.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

Crizz44: Yeah, I had thought of that and plugged in an old Radeon video card that I had... no luck though, unfortunately!

Bruce: I had even tried another PSU - and yeah, the connections you mentioned were definitely connected properly to the board. Unfortunately, I'd also tried booting with every drive completely disconnected with no luck! I can't find out if the board was working before, as no longer have contact details for the person who was giving the board away.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:10 AM

There is very much a possibility the BIOS chip is toasted, perhaps it was a victim of a bad BIOS chip flash, which would give the same result you are getting with this motherboard.

The BIOS chip on motherboards have the ability to start up the system board as long as the chip or its firmware have not been corrupted.

This may very well be the case here, but since you wasn't charged for this motherboard, I would take it the person may have known it didn't work.

The only possibility you would have here is replacing the BIOS chip, however I want to caution you that there may have been more damage done to this board then the BIOS chip being wiped out.

The motherboard may have been subjected to a power spike or maybe even possible damage caused by lightening.

Unless you know a lot about electronics and how to go through and trace electronic circuits, there isn't much you can do.
Besides, it is really more of a challenge then you may realize, everything is surface mount technology and chips are very hard to replace and do a proper re-flow of the circuit board.

There is just no way to solder the pins on the north-bridge or south-bridge chips, they have to be re-flowed by placing the board in temperature controlled ovens and heated to over 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

That's more work than its worth and it's better to buy a new motherboard instead.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users