Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden File In Recycle Bin-cannot Delete-virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vivienne

vivienne

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:46 AM

When I did an Empty Recycle Bin (Windows XP Home) it said I had one extra file than I could actually see to delete, but when I clicked to delete them it said File 3A4E6989 could not be deleted because it could not read from the source file or disk (this is the file I couldn't see) At that same time a box popped up from BitDefender my anti-virus programme to say it had blocked a virus from my computer - Win32.MyDoom.M@mm I have tried again by deleting some files into the recyle bin and the same thing happens. Wondered what this file is that cannot be deleted and why BitDefender is saying it has a virus. I haven't managed to get any help from BitDefender who just say close BitDefender down and then delete the file - but I can't see it and it won't be deleted!!

I did a system scan with BitDefender which came up with
F:\RECYCLED\Df10\Quarantine\3A4E6989=>(Quarantine-2) .scr Infected: Win32.Mydoom.M@mm
F:\RECYCLED\Df10\Quarantine\3A4E6989=>(Quarantine-2) .scr Disinfection failed
F:\RECYCLED\Df10\Quarantine\037674DA=>(Quarantine-2)=>review.txt .pif Infected: Win32.Mydoom.V.2@mm
F:\RECYCLED\Df10\Quarantine\037674DA=>(Quarantine-2)=>review.txt .pif Deleted
F:\RECYCLED\Df10\Quarantine\037674DA=>(Quarantine-2) Update
F:\RECYCLED\Df10\Quarantine\037674DA Update failed

I don't actually use my F drive now as this is an old one I used to use and a lot of the files in it have been deleted - I use my C drive now but BitDefender doesn't find a virus in my C drive, but the Recycle Bin is in my C drive when it pops up to say there is a virus.

Hope this all makes sense to someone and I would really appreciate some advice as to what is going on - do I have a virus and if so how can I delete it? I had a look on a website that gave the files that would be on your computer if you had the My Doom virus and did a search of my computer but it didn't find any of those files. When I do a search it doesn't find 3A4E6989 either!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:15 AM

Seems like its saved on there as a read only and hidden file. First go into control panel, then click tools and folder options. Then click the view tab. Click to show hidden files and also file extensions. *Note. Be very careful when opperating with file exentsions shown, because if you rename something and forget what the extension file type is, you lost it.* Now, go back to the actual file that you tried to delete in the first place, right click and go to properties, does it say it is read only?

Now, since you're able to get online, I'd recommend a few changes to your security settings. First Get Ewido internet security, im sorry for no link right now, im at school. Then, Scan with an online scan with trendmicro house call; this isnt to be used for a primary anti virus, just when you know something is wrong and need a quick scan. Its very fast, and very accurate.

If you feel you havent been helped here, please post a Hijackthis log in the forums.

Again sorry for the lack of clarity or depth, im in school.

//Mod Edit: BB Code only - No HTML

Edited by KoanYorel, 15 December 2005 - 10:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users