Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound not working, suspect sound card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 †Sage†

†Sage†

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hi, for some reason or another, my sound isn't working. For a few weeks sound would only come out of one speaker or the other, but never both. Eventually, no sound came out at all, no matter how i balanced them or twiddled around with the wires. I thought it was just a problem with the speakers, so I plugged in some speakers I have on my other computer (which work very well), but they didn't produce sound either. I'm fairly convinced that this is a problem with my sound card, but I don't know how to go about fixing it without getting a new sound card altogether. If anyone can direct me to a patch or installer or some way to fix it so that sound comes out of even one speaker that would be awesome.
Here are my specs (from DXDIAG in Run). If you need anything else, please just ask:

Device
Name: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086DEV_266ESUBSYS_01811028REV_0 (I believe there's more to it, but it's cut off so I can't see it)
Manufacturer ID: 65535
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Default Device: Yes

Drivers
Name: smwdm.sys
Version: 5.12.0001.5246 (English)
Date: 1/27/2005 15:31:06
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Other Files:
Provider: Analog Devices

DirectX Features
Hardware Sound Acceleration Level: (on a slider bar) Full Acceleration
SageOfSARIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

I would do the following. download the latest driver from your motherboard manufacturer. Go to device manager and uninstall the device driver, then uninstall the device. restart the computer. Ignore the new hardware found wizard(cancel out). run the driver program. Check to see that the device is now present in device manager. check your sound. If nothing is coming out check your sound properites in the control panel to be sure your device is selected as the playback device, the volumes are up and there are no mute buttons checked.

edit: if none of that works you may need to add in a sound card to an expansion slot.

Edited by Baltboy, 01 February 2011 - 11:36 AM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users