Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer powers on but nothing happens.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

The computer made a loud beeping noise all of a sudden and the screen went black. When I reset it it sounds like it's booting up and the tower lights up but nothing happens. I have two monitors so I doubt they went bad at the same time. Any ideas? I'm going to swap out the mobo battery but have no clue if that'll help, I just don't know what else to try. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

I doubt the Mobo battery will help but it's good to replace them occasionally (every 5 years).

You say it appears to be powering up? Can you hear the HD spin up as well as the fans? Does the HD LED show activity (flickering)?

Do you have a video card? Or onboard video? If it is hooked up to the on-board, you might try installing a very simple, basic (maybe PCI only) video card.

If you are using a video card, try the on-board video or replace it with a different one.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

It powers on and the power button lights up, but that's it. Not sure if the hd spun as I couldn't hear it over my loud external. not sure about the fan either, but I'll check both. Pc is in my trunk and my boss is gonna help me, hopefully, fix it.If it's the hard drive I sure hope win 7 backup did it's job well.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

If it is in your trunk make sure that it comes up to room temperature for about half an hour before turning it on

Take it down to bare bones. Remove the video card, if present, like Rigacci suggested and any other cards
Disconnect the power leads and data cables from both the cdrom and hard drives. See if you get video then.

Also reseat the memory
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

Thanks, good idea considering it's 79 out today. I sure don't miss NJ on days like this.

But, anyway, I pulled out one of the pairs of RAM and the computer now boots. I have 4 1GB sticks, and I guess they're matched pairs. I'm gonna try swapping them around next to see what happens. I see the video card fan is spinning, so that's a good sign... I guess?

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Sometimes it is a simple as reseating your RAM. You might also want to run a memory check.

Here is a link to one of the best.

http://www.memtest86.com/

You will need to download it and create a CD from it as per their instructions.

DR

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

How about sending us some of that 79 degree weather?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well, I swapped the RAM around every which way and it worked every time. IDK why but I'm thankful as everyday without the computer I fall behind on work.

I want to try the Memory test, but I'm not sure which version to download. I have the computer dual booted with Ubuntu and Windows 7, so which version should I get? The computer boots Ubuntu by default.

How about sending us some of that 79 degree weather?

Ha. If I could only bottle it.

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

I believe the mem test runs on a Linux disk. It self boots.

From their website:

Memtest86 is a standalone program that does not require or use any operating system for execution. The version of Windows or Linux being used is irrelavent for execution. However, you must use Windows or Linux to create a bootable CD, Floppy or USB key. The Windows and Linux packages are identical except for the installation methods. Memtest86 supports 64 bit CPUs.

So the different versions are strictly for which system you will use to make the self-bboting disk on.

DR

#10 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

Oh, sorry. I should have actually read a bit before asking, but I'm at work so I was trying to be stealthy. Figures I'm on a Mac right now, so I guess this can wait until later. Thanks for the help.

#11 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Is there any way to do something about the heat that pours out of my PC? I keep the insides pretty dust free, but it blows out so much hot air, it's like a little space heater.

#12 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

Duct it out to 'the middle of Kansas'! :hysterical:

No, seriously - keep the insides clean and be glad the heat is being blown out.

There's a windows based program called SpeedFan that you can use to monitor temperatures if you'd like. I picked it up off this site from someone's suggestion - wish I could remember who. It's available here , among other places.

#13 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

Ha. I'll check that out. I wish I had splurged and added the water cooling to this thing when I bought it four years ago. If that was even an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users