Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Active Directory changes not reflected in Outlook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

Hi everyone, I have made some changes to email addresses for "Contacts" in Active Directory, which we use to store external email addresses that everyone uses. My problem is that even though I've made these changes and they appear to be changed fine in Active Directory, the changes are not reflected in Outlook (2007). Cached Exchange mode is turned off, so I'd expect the Global Address List to reflect the current situation in Active Directory, but it doesn't. Is there any other reason why this would happen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:37 AM

Are you looking at the Address Book in Outlook, or have you copied GAL entries to Contacts in Outlook and are looking for changes there? (which can work, but would be a different problem). It sounds more like the first one, so...

I don't have 2007 any more and I always use cached Exchange mode (far less IO to the server, much faster operation for everyone). That said, I'm pretty sure the GAL is made available offline independently of whether you use cached mode or not. You can force a download of the GAL, from memory this is somewhere on the Tools menu (in 2010 it's File > Account Settings button drop down > choose "download address book"). If it still gets stuck, you can close Outlook, destroy the offline address book, restart Outlook and it should rebuild it (your mielage may vary, make sure you backup anything you plan to delete, don't mix your medications, don't run with scissors etc).

To find out where the GAL is that Outlook is using, open the Address Book (not from an email "to" line but the main toolbar). In the address book window, go to Tools > Options. You should see the GAl listed as one of the address books being used to check addresses. Click it to select and then click on Properties. If it is using a local cached copy you will see the folder path where this is (on Windows Vista/7 this is <user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Offline Address Books\ by default, then a GUID).

Hope this helps
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#3 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

Thanks. I've sorted this now. Seems changes made in AD do not port across to Exchange Management Console, so I now juts do everything relating to AD contacts in Exchange instead. Seems to work fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users