Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG antivirus 2011 malware problem PLEASE HLP!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 puravida5169

puravida5169

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:57 AM

I have the AVG anti virus 2011 malware on my lap top (currently using my desktop). I have found the info on this site on how to get rid of it but my problem is that when following the instructions it asks me to turn windows on in safe mode (which i can do). BUT: When ive done this it does not let me use my wireless usb internet provider. Therefore i am unable to download the required program to help remove the malware.

When trying to use the laptop in normal mode the virus is stopping me from using the web (only letting me go onto sites that want me to put in credit cared info EG. bank sites, ebay etc). So i cant access the required downloads that way either.

I don't know much about computers but can fix a problem by following instructions so if anyone has some helpful info i would be really grateful for your help
If you are a bit unsure what i am talking about feel free to write back for clarification.
THANKYOU!!!

Edited by puravida5169, 01 February 2011 - 04:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the infected machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program(s). If you cannot copy files to your usb drive, make sure it is not "Write Protected". Some flash drives have a switch on the side or on the back as shown here which could have accidentally been moved to write protect.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hello,

I've reopened this topic and am deleting the topic you made in the log forum as you didn't post any logs there, and the advice you would receive in response to your initial question is precisely what Quietman7 has posted here.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 puravida5169

puravida5169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

Thanks so much for your advice. Yeah sorry about opening it in other topics. I wasnt sure where it was appropriate to post.

I was thinking that i will take my (infected) laptop to a friends house with wireless connection then try what you have suggested (loading the program onto a usb). Just unsure it will work though, because the computer needs to be in safe mode while i try to install the program (from the usb - dont have disk drive) it may not let me do this as this is why my internet connection (via mobile usb) did not work in the first place.
So very grateful for the info though and will let you know how it goes. This is a great site and i will continue to use/browse to get a bit more computer savvy.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uses Inno Setup instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. As such, you should be able to install and scan while in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan if you can reboot normally after the first scan.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it first.
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file file and rename it to mysetup.exe. If that did not work, rename it explorer.exe.
  • Double-click on the renamed file to start the installation.
  • If that still did not work, then try changing the file extension. <- click this Download Link if you do not see the file extension
    If using Windows Vista, refer to these instructions.
  • Right-click on explorer.exe and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on explorer.com (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users