Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mouse,keyboard freezes ~twice per minute

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ricknorth

ricknorth

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:27 AM

Symptoms: the most obvious is the mouse and keyboard freezes (but still accepts entries into the buffer) for roughly 10 seconds at a time, maybe twice per minute. It takes a good 5 minutes just to power up, but at least it's faster since I ran autoruns and unclicked unneeded items. Usesd to be more like 10 minutes from power on to actually being able to talk to my computer! Really a drag. It's a Dell XPS M140 laptop, w/ 2GB memory and XPhome SP3, 80GB HDD with 28GBB still free. On attempt to defrag, the computer looks and says I don't need to, so I haven't actually defrag'd it. It recently had a bad DNSchanger Trojan infection, solved on BC in the malware forum.

What I've done...
After running OTC and MBA and Kaspersky and McAfee VSE to get the trojan DNS changers (4 entries) off my machine, guided by Kahdah at the malware forum of BC, it seems to be clean. I've rerun MBA a few times since that topic was closed, and the scans still are clean. I can once again go to Windows Updates, MalwareBytes, and other sites which the DNS changer had forbidden while infected. So, I've...
- gotten the latest updates installed from Windows Update
- installed the latest version and DAT of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i and run it
- run autoruns and unchecked things not necessary.
- run CCleaner and backup'd registry and cleaned up registry errors, and cleaned 140Meg of temp files
- accessed systems/accessories defrag but it said I didn't need to defrag (28GB free on 80GB HDD)

Kahdah at the malware forum said it was probably a software conflict and sent me to this board to see if it can be fixed.

many thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:50 AM

Hi ricknorth -
You can still run defrag if you like (just to be sure) - It never hurts (how much is fragmented, it will be shown) -
I would run a Check Disk scan now, to also clean up any minor problems remaining - You just copy and paste the code below into Run Box, close all open programs including internet, and the computer will reboot 30 seconds after you click OK -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Please let the check/repair program run, it will take 30 to 45 mins on average -
You can also use TFC to clean up Temp Files if needed-
Download TFC to your desktop.
  • Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job
  • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
  • if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 01 February 2011 - 05:57 AM.

#3 ricknorth

ricknorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

OK. Done. Did you really mean the CHKDSK operation would take 30-45 minutes? It actually took 12 hours. I have an 89GB HDD with 29GB free. TFC deleted about 500meg of files. The 'short attention span' problem with the mouse and keyboard is still there, although it might be a bit improved. Looking at the Windows Task Manager, the CPU is almost always 100% being used for the first 10 minutes after powerup. The users seem to be taskmgr.exe and some to McShield_InUse. Apparently that's the definitions update for my McAfee AV. I've got 56 processes running. the frozen keyboard/mouse problem is not confined to this initial McShield_InUse period, but is a continual problem. What else can I try?

#4 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

try going into the device manager/usb controllers/usb root hubs/power management tab/
uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:48 AM

When you say mouse, are you referring to the touch pad?

What happens if you unplug the power source from the laptop? The reason that I ask is because a failed or failing battery can cause these symptoms.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ricknorth

ricknorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

Sorry; I was waiting for an email notification that there was a response (typically yes) but somehow that's not happening. I just checked and see that I've got responses...

SO - I am not sure what the instructions are. I opened control panel/system/device manager/ and found several USB and USB root hub's underneath. But don't see 'power management' tab. I might need a bit more hand-holding on following through...

I mean mouse and touch pad and keyboard entry. They all freeze and then catch up on their response. I typically don't use the touch screen.

Sorry; I was waiting for an email notification that there was a response (typically yes) but somehow that's not happening. I just checked and see that I've got responses...

SO - I am not sure what the instructions are. I opened control panel/system/device manager/ and found several USB and USB root hub's underneath. But don't see 'power management' tab. I might need a bit more hand-holding on following through...

I mean mouse and touch pad and keyboard entry. They all freeze and then catch up on their response. I typically don't use the touch screen.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

<<Did you really mean the CHKDSK operation would take 30-45 minutes? It actually took 12 hours. I have an 89GB HDD with 29GB free.>>

I would guess that you have hard drive/file system problems...a chkdsk should never take that long, IME, let alone on a drive the size of yours.

Louis

#8 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

start/run/devmgmt.msc
Universal Serial Bus controllers/USB Root Hub (double click to get): Power Management tab (click it, along the top)
uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

for startup speed, go: start/eventvwr (enter) to see the errors (red) under both application and system. look for the ones at the same time as your boot.
you can copy the error by clicking the 3rd button on the right, that has two papers. then, open notepad, and right click in notepad window and paste.
fix them one by one, and you should have faster startup.

Edited by cogs10, 09 February 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#9 ricknorth

ricknorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

OK. I had 5 USB Root Hub entries. I unchecked 'allow computer to turn off device to save power' for all of them. I then rebooted the computer. Still took a long time to start up and show me my desktop icons. Still have the keyboard, mouse, and touchpad all be unresponsive ~twice per minute for seconds on end. I saw a few red 'error' entries on the log from start/eventvwr but am not sure how to fix them. Some were simply failure to connect to the internet on times I was not hooked up on startup. I can put the others, from earlier, into a reply.
Would one expect the USB Root Hub entry changes to eliminate the frozen keyboard problem? Should I leave those changes in force now?

thanks for your help!

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:30 AM

Hi -

Just a FYI "TFC deleted about 500meg of files." these are usually only Temp files and unneeded cookies -

If you have not 'cleaned' temp files from System Tools > Disk Cleanup (or similar methods) , this is what the program removes -
I only put it up as sometimes people forget to defrag and clean up and it creates a backlog -

Thank You -

Sorry but I have nothing else at this time, and am leaving it to dc3, cogs10 and hamluis -

#11 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

can you get into diagnostics by pressing f12 at boot?
if so, you can try running one on your harddrive.

the usb power save can be changed back if it's not helping.

#12 ricknorth

ricknorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

OK. I'm running the diagnostics (By the way, it took 10 minutes from the time of boot start until it would actually start listening to commands from the user), I used f12 to get into the Dell diagnostics. It 'passed' all of a large number of tests and then came to a point where I was to choose to do extended test or custom test. I chose 'custom test' and selected the HDD. It's a 6 year old computer and once had about 90% of the disk space used up before I bought a back up external HDD and offloaded enough so that it's now only about 2/3 full. And again, it took 12 hrs to do the chkdsk command suggested earlier. The IDE Disk S/N device quick check was given 'pass' and now it's doing a read test and looks like it'll take about an hour to finish, at the current pace.
I'll post again when it finishes the HDD test.

If I need a new HDD, is it straightforward to take it in to someplace, with a purchased laptop HDD that's compatible, and have them swap the system onto the new HDD? It came from Dell with WinXP already on it and I don't have the CD's.

#13 ricknorth

ricknorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

The HDD tests all came back 'passed'. Took something over an hour to do.

I notice that during this special f12 test mode, that I can use the touchpad and make loop de' loops forever and it never pauses. in other words, the issue I'm having trouble with does not happen. But when I reboot back into normal mode, then again I have the input devices all take time outs of 5-8 seconds or so, a couple of times per minute roughly. This sounds to me like a software conflict and not a hardware problem, but I admit I'm guessing. Your thoughts? Is there some scan I can post which may show conflicts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users