Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DV5 not booting beyond cursor, no CD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gho100

gho100

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:32 AM

Hello, and thanks in advance.

I am working with a friend's HP DV5 laptop. I do not have any windows Vista CDs.

When powering up, the laptop will show the windows progress bar, the splash screen with the scrolling windows icon, and then, after a very long time, it will show a blue screen with a cursor in the middle. It will not progress beyond that stage.

Using Esc, I have accessed the options to check for startup and attempt booting into the recovery platform. This doesn't work.

So far, the only thing I've managed to get is a return on the "Primary Hard Disk Self Test"
Result: "Replace Hard Disk 1"

While that seems like a nice option, the goal here is data recovery, or trying to get this blasted thing to boot just once so I can copy some things.

I was thinking I might be able to put some kind of utility on a thumb drive to repair the hard disk errors?
Help me out!

Thanks,
George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

If the manufacturer's software...indicated that the drive is bad...I'd believe that.

As for salvaging data files...you could remove the hard drive and either connect it directly to another system or use some type of USB enclosure...to attempt to access the data files on the drive.

Have you looked at the HP support page for that system?

Louis

#3 gho100

gho100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:58 AM

I don't have access to additional hardware to hook up the hard drive as a slave, though its on the table if I exhaust my options without spending money for stuff I'm only going to use once.

I have consulted HP's website, but they basically indicate to use the system cd's to restore any issues or just reformat and reinstall windows. As I mentioned, I don't have those discs, so its not an option.

Are there any hard disk repair tools I would be able to boot from a thumb drive?

Thanks again,
George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users