Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Stopped Working Following Use of ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mandy Patinkin III

Mandy Patinkin III

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Hello all.

A friend of mine detected some rootkit activity on his system, was unable to rid himself of it with Avira and other antivirus / anti-spyware software, and I recommended that he look into ComboFix. Unfortunately, he left his external Western Digital hard drive connected to his machine, and now every time he attempts to do anything, he receives a 1327 Invalid Drive error. He's running WIndows Vista.

The drive is no longer recognized in his Device Manager, but when he goes into Computer Management, it shows up as an unrecognized device with no associated drive letter. Right clicking it doesn't let him get into the drive properties, nor does it allow him to assign a new letter. Currently, he is busy at work, but I told him that I would try to explain his problem, and forward him a link to the thread so he can chime in with more information if necessary. If any of you have ever encountered anything like this, help would be appreciated, as his drive contains some data that is irreplaceable.

Thanks in advance for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hi Mandy Patinkin lll, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Is there a drive letter assigned to this hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bad mojo

bad mojo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:06 AM

Hello,

Yes, and it was E, after combofix was done with it, there was no trace of the drive letter. The external hard drive will work just fine on another computer, but on my Dell 1501 inspiron it will not work.
If I try to install a program, it will tell me that there is an error because of this missing drive.
It is a Western Digital external hard drive. I can give the model number if necessary. It holds 950 GB or so.
I have tried to install programs from a flash drive with no luck.
So it looks like I'm going to need something other than Autorun Repair Wizard.
Any help you can send my way would be great.

thanks.

a

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

Might be a long shot but you can try this, see if it shows the hard drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

Try assigning a drive letter to it.

You will need to be logged on as the Administrator.

Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Disk Management.

Right click on the drive that you want to assign a drive letter to, then click Change Drive Letter and Paths and then Change.

Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bad mojo

bad mojo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

It lists a drive without a letter, blank. Right clicking only results in a "help" in the side bar, no options for properties or anything else.

#7 bad mojo

bad mojo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

I was able to plug in my thumb drive, and then take it out, and then plug in my external hard drive and assign it to the letter that my thumb drive previously had.
Not sure if it's a perfect fix, but I'll take it.
thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users