Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer shut down and can't restart

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 deloria

deloria

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

Hi people...

I have an older model HP 8562 that I don't use often but it works with my scanner and some older games I still enjoy playing. I just changed out the monitor to a small flat screen and started it up (I haven't used it in months). It booted up fine, although it was a bit louder than I remember. I checked the settings to make sure it recognized the monitor (it did). I put a computer game in and it started to play. Then all of a sudden the monitor goes black and says it's going to sleep. I jiggled the mouse, the screen came back long enough for me to attempt to open the game again. The computer made a restarting sound and it appeared to be booting up (the beginning screen with all the writing). Then the computer shut down, and the monitor said it was going to sleep again. I can't turn the computer back on and the disk is now stuck in the drive. Did I ruin it by adding the monitor? I checked all the plugs and everything is on tight. Any suggestions? If nothing else, how can I get the CD out of the drive?

If the computer is toast, will the memory work with an hp Pavilion a345w? I guess that's an older model computer too. Maybe it's just time to get a new one. At any rate, I would appreciate any help you are willing to provide. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:32 AM

Regarding the Game,to open the CDROM straighten out a paper clip and gently insert it in the small hole on the face, it will give a click then you can gently open it, remove your Game CD and gently close it. REMEMBER the KEY WORD is GENTLY!!! Don't ever try to force it, just gently insert the paper Clip, it is a perfect size, until you hear that little click.

Someone else will be along later to Help with the rest as I am just a bit rusty on MIN98SE now.

BTW, this works with most CDROMs, CD Burners, DVD Players and DVD Burners.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

You don't say which OS you are using as the section cover Win95/98/ME. Now I'm supprised that your system recognised your new monitor as Win95 won't it will set it as a Default monitor if you want to change it it will ask for drivers.

You could check your Power Options in Control Panel to see if the monitor will turn itself off/sleep mode after a given time. I never have this turned off if I'm using the computer then it should always be on. You could check your power options for the hard drive to make sure that doesn't turn off after a short period. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 PikachusThunder

PikachusThunder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

It could be your Monitor. If you have the monitor inserted in the wrong socket, it could put it too sleep. For the restarting part, try using the old monitor and checking C:\ and checking the 'MONITOR' File or the file the data was kept.

#5 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

deloria,

Hope you got your game disk back out.

Unfortunately the memory modules for the HP 8562 (169 pin PC-100) are not compatible with the HPa345w (184 pin PC-2700).

Specs for the 8562 can be found here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05224&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

and specs for the a345w can be found here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00047204&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Hope this helps,
Bill253

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

I was also wondering that about the Game Disk, it is always nice to know if advice given works or doesn't? If it diddn't then there are really other ways to do it, I just advised on an easy way that always works for me. Link to various ways

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000214.htm

Please let us know whether you are having any success with what People are advising you and also answer questions being asked to you, deloria, as it can be very frustrating to those that give advice, without pay, not to receive responses.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 deloria

deloria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

I'm so sorry not to respond sooner. I have been away and thought I would get an email telling me if I had a response (I didn't). At any rate, I did get the disk out following the advice given. Thanks. I think adding the monitor was just a coincidence because the monitor's light was still on even after the computer shut down. The monitor always says "going to sleep" after the computer shuts down.

I waited for the comupter to sit overnight thinking maybe I had an overheating issue due to dust or fans not operating. I opened the computer and checked for loose wires and blew all the dust out with compressed air from a can. There was no smell of burned wiring or anything else. I plugged it back in and tried to turn it on to see if the fans were working. I got "NOTHING". No lights, no noise, nothing.

I also thank you for the info. about the memory. Darn it. If the comupter is dead, I thought I might be able to canabalize the blasted thing. Any other advice on the possible problem? I promise to check back into the forum (I just found the box to get the responses through email). Thanks again for sharing your expertise with me. It is truly appreciated.

JD

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

You don't say which OS you are using as the section cover Win95/98/ME.

You still haven't said which operating sytem you are using?

I have been away and thought I would get an email telling me if I had a response (I didn't).

When you make or reply to a thread there is a part at the bottom that says Options - Click to configure post options
Put a tick in the email notifications box to you will get an email if someone replies.

I plugged it back in and tried to turn it on to see if the fans were working. I got "NOTHING". No lights, no noise, nothing.

There should be a fan on the power supply of computers which will run all the time the computer is switched on. If it doesn't run then the power supply could be overheating and is think there is a heat sensor in there that will shut down the power supply and therefore nothing will work/operate. Some processor have additional cooling fans on them and they will shut down if they overheat. Remove the case again and power it up and check the fans work ok. Power supplies are quite cheap I bought on for my spare computer last year 14. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#9 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

From the HP website spec sheet for the 8562 (see link above):

Supported operating systems (OS/NOS)Microsoft ® Windows 98 2nd Edition
NOTE: The only operating system supported on this HP Pavilion PC is MS Windows 98 (SE).
Keithuk is right. Although you can easily spend a couple hundred $US on a great power supply, you can pick one up for under $20 that's probably as good or better than the HP OEM one.

The HP website has pretty good instructions on troubleshooting power supply issues. Try looking here for instructions. Of course you can always come back here with questions or for further guidance.

If it is a dead power supply unit (PSU), replacing one is really pretty easy. Required tools are a screwdriver and maybe some tape and a marker to label wires. Your old PSU has a label on it showing what I consider to be minimum wattage for a replacement. It's probably an ATX (or maybe ATX12V) supply, which are of pretty standard size. Wouldn't hurt to measure anyway, and pay attention to the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V amp outputs - but anything new will probably be OK if it's standard ATX and not something special that HP dreamed up (they've been known to do that).

You can probably find a replacement PSU at your local office supply store, or you can try looking online at places like newegg.com or geeks.com .

I know it's tough putting any money in systems as old as these, but if you want it to work again, it isn't a hard or expensive task.

Let us know what you find and what you decide.

Bill253
feelin' fly like a cheesehead today!

#10 deloria

deloria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

The operating system is W98 SE.

#11 deloria

deloria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

Since I can't get it to start at all, I will look into purchasing a new power supply. Thanks for the info. I will check back at some future point if I need more info. Thanks again for all those who responded.

#12 Patmedley

Patmedley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

before you condemn the power supply listen to your on/off button you should hear a click. My brother had a computer do the same thing after replacing power supply figured out the power switch was bad

#13 deloria

deloria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

The power button doesn't really make any noise when I push it "on". It doesn't even seem to have any resistance. But, would the computer have shut down if the switch just suddenly went bad?

Interesting.... How would I check the switch?

JD

#14 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

Don't know about troubleshooting the switch, but here's another thought.

Some power supplies have a light (LED) on the back of them. If they do, the light is always on when there is power going to the PSU.

Thinking about this, I thought I would try an experiment. Since I had recently replaced an old 250 watt PSU with a newer, higher wattage one, I still had the old one sitting in a box.

I put the old PSU on a non-conductive surface, making sure the output leads weren't attached to anything. Then I plugged in the PSU to see what would happen. The LED came on, but the fan didn't turn, nor was there any other sign of life. I imagine a multimeter might have told me more, but didn't want to go that far.

Looking inside my old Win98 box, which I happened to have open for a different experiment, I noticed that the front panel power switch was connected to the motherboard by a black and yellow twisted pair of wires leading to a black plastic female connector - conviently labeled 'POWER SW'. Of course this is a system built by a local shop and not HP, so your mileage will almost certainly vary.

IMHO, it seems unlikely a bad power switch would cause the system to crash as you described. It's definitely possible that it's not the PSU and there's a more serious hardware issue, like a bad motherboard. It does sound to me like more of a hardware issue than a OS issue.

#15 deloria

deloria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

I certainly appreciate your feedback. I'm working on finding a power supply to remove that issue from the table. Based on the timing and the way this whole thing happened, I just want to make sure my adding a different monitor didn't fry something inside the computer. If the power supply brings it back to life, I don't want to burn out another one.

Thanks again for your reply.

JD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users