Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP booting problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nismo44

Nismo44

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Hello,
I found myself repairing a PC with Windows XP Professional on it.
At first, the computer didn't start and before booting showed me this error:
"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER."

I already wanted to format the hard drive, but there was some valuable information on it so i tryed to look into the matter.
then i noticed that the computer didn't even recognize that it had a hard drive connected, it didn't start to boot and it wasn't shown in BIOS setup.

then i noticed, that CPU temp was 79 degrees Celsius. after that i opened up the computer and cleaned it from dust.
Afterwards i got the temp down to about 40 degrees and then was the DISK BOOT FAILURE problem solved, as the computer could load the hard drive.

but then i ran into my current problem.
when i tried to boot the windows, the computer crashed (both with "Start windows normally" and "last known configuration")
when i tried to start it in safe mode, the computer crashed loading a system file called "TDI.sys"
when i googled it, it was suggested that it's a windows system problem and i needed to use CHKDSK from windows Recovery Console. i did that and CHKDSK /P also, but there were no problems found and nothing fixed, still the same problem.

and i should mention, that i tryed that hard disk(from broken PC1) in another similar computer (PC2) and it booted perfectly.
but when i tryed to boot the hard drive from working pc (PC2) in that broken pc (PC1) then there was the same problem, with the difference of safe mode loading crashing on loading MUP.sys.

so basically, both hard drives work on a working computer, but not the other one.. so it seems to me that the problem can't be in those hard drives.
nor in RAM, as i switched these also and it didn't have any effect.

oh and i cleaned the CPU vent, took it off and applied a new layer of thermal paste (it was my first time), so could that be an issue..?

i found some solutions concerning power supply and "chkdsk /p /r" or sth like that, i'll try those, but i would appreciate any kind of help:)
i just need to get it done.

(I also created an Ultimate Boot CD, but i haven't used it before and i'm not aware if it would give me any kind of assistance)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

If legit, tdi.sys is a network file, system/Windows file, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/tdi.sys-2863.html .

I would try booting into safe mode without networking.

<<...then i noticed, that CPU temp was 79 degrees Celsius.>>

Well...no telling how long the system had been overheating or what damage could have occurred because of such, IMO.

Louis

#3 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

I tried booting into safe mode both with networking and without, either way it crashed loading TDI.sys.
but can replacing that file with a new copy be the solution?

if that file would be corrupted, then the hard drive couldn't have worked on another computer, could it?

yeah, that high temperature could have messed things up.. but on what could it have had an effect? i could try changing different components from the other computer (like i did with DDR2 RAM)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

I'm not a hardware person...but, IMO, heat is the greatest enemy of any computer component. That's probably why there are so many different tools avaiable for monitoring such in a system.

Louis

#5 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

everywhere i found information about problems with safe mode hang while loading TDI.sys and MUP.sys were said to be fixed by using chkdsk or repairing windows XP installation..
but that cannot be the case, CHKDSK didn't help and i recon repair will not help either.
i will try replacing the motherboard with another CPU, maybe the heat has destroyed the CPU on that one..

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

If the hard drive didn't show up in BOIS did you try using a different cable to the hard drive or even a diff. power plug from power supply. What is the computer make and model?

#7 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:45 AM

no i did not.. because even before i got the time to think about that problem, i noticed the high temp and then i cleaned the computer. afterwards this problem was gone.. but with 3 different hard drives safe mode loading hangs at "mup.sys" or "tdi.sys".

hmm..
it's put together by Estonian company ORDI.

Intel506 P4 2,6GHz 533/1M s775
MB EPOX 5EGMI 915GL s.775 V
DDR 256MB 400MHz PC3200
HDD 40GB Samsung 7200
CD ROM 52X LG
PCI Controller 32Bit 2ser/1par

PCI controller is because the computer was connected to a monitor with touchpad screen, because this computer is used as a cash register computer in a nightclub

edit:
a little update:
i took a third hard drive, which hasn't been in use for a while.. tryed to boot that, and PC hung at loading mup.sys.
Then i tried a Repair install of Windows XP Home and then it booted normally, except it needs an online activation to log in.
i haven't plugged in the internet cable yet, but at least windows loads up to the Welcome screen where i can choose an account.
if the two hard drives are identical, with almost the same configuration and software, then probably when i would repair the one which originally was in that computer, it would also ask me to activate?

Edited by Nismo44, 02 February 2011 - 08:36 AM.

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

what are the sizes on all of the hard drives you have tried? Can you give models and how many GB?
I see it came with a 40GB Samsung, but could you list the others?

#9 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

two were the same 40gb SAMSUNG and one was 40gb Seagate(model: ST340014A)

#10 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

It may not have anything to do with your problem. But just for fun could you remove the pci controller and just hook up a regular monitor and see if you get the same results? Im just
wondering if there could be a driver problem that could be the issue.

#11 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

i took the computer home with me and i have only a regular monitor.. and if i remember correctly, at first i unplugged the PCI controller, but it had no effect.

but when i tried to do it now, the computer started, but before any image showed up on the monitor, it shut itself down. and then it wouldn't start at all when i pressed the power button.. i reconnected power supply and checked CPU vent and stuff, but still..
then i also had an older PC, fully intact only without power supply.
i thought that i could take the motherboard with CPU and it's vent and try to replace that.. but now i unplugged the 8 small wires: 1 Ground, 2 Ground, 1 +D, 1-D, 2+D, 2-D, 1+5v, 2+5v and i don't remember how to put them back and i don't have an instruction manual which came with it:D

edit:
okay, i solved that problem with google.
but using another motherboard and CPU with the same power supply, RAM and hard drive gave me yet again that DISK BOOT FAILURE error..

i think that i must go on from that windows repair install, but what can i do, if i can't log in into an account without activating the windows. but i can't activate it, as i need to login to get an internet connection. a bit of a paradox.

Edited by Nismo44, 03 February 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#12 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

you should have the option to activate by phone. But when you said you did not connect the pci card, did you remove it from the system or just not hook it up to the monitor. The card itself should be removed if it is causing any problems. But i guess if you can get this drive activated you will be ok.

#13 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

ofcourse i took the PCI card out of the computer..
but yea, i plugged in the internet cable and choose the activation online and it worked..
but that was with another hard drive:D

now at the moment i am trying a repair install on the right one.. but with that one it's a bit different..
after that blue screen file copying it restarted and now there's a window titled "Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade" (which i did not see with the first drive before) and it already gave me 2 errors about being unable to copy them and then i continued installation without them...
and now it seems to be hung up. The loading bar doesn't move. it seems to be installing devices:

"Please wait while Setup detects and installs devices such as your keyboard and mouse. This will take several minutes. During this time, your screen may flicker for a few seconds."

#14 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

well, anyways, i finally did a Repair Install of Windows XP Home on that original hard drive and with some errors, that some files could not copy and then i continued the install without copying those files, i finally got the PC working (and this time it didn't want me to activate?).

so at the moment, repair install fixed it and it's working fine.

thanks everyone for your time and help!:)

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:26 PM

Be sure to go to Windows Update and download / install all updates after the repair install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users