Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2008 Server hangs after boot (safemode works)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kleach

kleach

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

I have a complex one here.. not sure what is causing my issue but I can't find it and need some help.
Here is what is happening.
First off.. this is an HP server (2U) running Server 2008 64bit (not R2)
The server is remote so I can only connect via iLO (HP remote KVM connection) (I can also boot from a CD image with iLO)
When you boot into normal mode you get one of two things.. one you get a login prompt where you can login to the local system or domain. If you do that once in you have about 10sec before it freezes.. if that..
Two,, you never make it to the login screen and it hangs while you see the little green bar graphic while the OS is loading..
Safe mode works.. I checked that all drivers are signed.
I tried clean boot options.. same result.. (by turning off all non windows services etc)
I booted from the OS CD and tries to repair.. nothing bad found..
I ran disk checks.. nothing there..
I ran hardware checks nothing there
I thought I could possibly upgrade to R2 but you need to be in normal mode to do the upgrade.. so, no luck there...

Once in safe mode everything is fine..networking also works ... so I tried to run malwarebytes quick scan comes up clean in safemode.

I really don't know where to go from here. I am limited to safe mode but willing to run anything. I have access to the local and network admin accounts. (I tried several types of logins)

ANY suggestions? I would appreciate ANY help..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

When in safe mode have you examined the event viewer to see if there are any hints as to what might be causing the issue?

If you can access safe mode and it hangs in regular mode then it is usually one of two things. 1. corrupted driver 2. third part software issue. I would go to msconfig and try the selective start up to see if you can get it to start in normal mode. If it does then you can re-enable things one by on to find the culprit.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Sorry guys,
I'm a little stumped on this one, as I'm awaiting the day when my upcoming server arrives, but I do have to thank you. You answered the long-standing question of whether malwarebytes works with a server operating system. Thanks. And just out of curiosity, does that server sound like a plane taking off when it starts up?

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users